X with avga card->blank screen

Post by Jan Meink » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I just installed Linux (Slackware 3.3) on an old 386SX 4MB computer .
Most things seem to work fine until I try to run X. Using a Generic VGA
setting leaves me with a blank screen until reboot. (I cannot switch
back to text.
The full chip labeling is AVGA 1  320-00 4156 3DK 9130. And the computer
was made by Leading Edge. The Monitor is a single frequency VGA monitor.

Any ideas? Thanks, Jan!

Post by Jan Meink » Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I just installed Linux (Slackware 3.3) on an old 386SX 4MB computer .
> Most things seem to work fine until I try to run X. Using a Generic VGA
> setting leaves me with a blank screen until reboot. (I cannot switch
> back to text.
> The full chip labeling is AVGA 1  320-00 4156 3DK 9130. And the computer
> was made by Leading Edge. The Monitor is a single frequency VGA monitor.

> Any ideas? Thanks, Jan!

  I tried the trick with setting the mouse device to null and it worked.
However X without mouse is not quite as much fun.
I am using a busmouse. Is there a bug in X?

Jan