XFree86 4.0 - different VESA mode?

Post by Guan Yan » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have installed XFree86 4.0 from binaries, and everything is fine with
the S3Virge driver.

All the supported color depths work (8, 16, 24, 32->24), but I can't
change resolution.

As far as I can tell, the modes are built-in standard VESA modes, which
is why all the color depths work. But how do I set X to start at a
different resolution by default - such as 1024x768 or 1154x864?

Thanks,

Guan

--
Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore.
                -- Russian Proverb

Post by Sebastian Ud » Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have installed XFree86 4.0 from binaries, and everything is fine with
> the S3Virge driver.

> All the supported color depths work (8, 16, 24, 32->24), but I can't
> change resolution.

> As far as I can tell, the modes are built-in standard VESA modes, which
> is why all the color depths work. But how do I set X to start at a
> different resolution by default - such as 1024x768 or 1154x864?

> Thanks,

> Guan

> --
> Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore.
>                 -- Russian Proverb

Add entrys like:

###
 SubSection "Display"
           Depth        32
           Modes        "1024x768"
 EndSubSection
###

Make sure that the HSync Frequency in the Monitor Section can handle the
Resolution, also XFree will not use the higher res.

1. VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

Is it possible at boot time to tell the kernel to initialize VESA
frame buffer devices(s) to do different modes for different virtual
consoles ?

I would like, for example:

virtual consoles 1-5 to be 800x600 8-bit color depth
virtual console 6 to be 640x480 8-bit color depth

Thank you in advance for any replies and for reading.
Charles Wilkins

2. The tenth variable (isn't a thriller)

3. Zip Zoom and Zip Plus driver problems

4. DGA mode in xfree86 4.0

5. compiling kernel problem

6. Cannot use DGA mode in xfree86 4.0

7. Madge/Token Ring Success?

8. KStatusBar core dump - XFree86 4.0 + FreeBSD 4.0

9. FreeBSD 4.0 moused vs XFree86 4.0

10. Can't get XFree86 4.0 working on FBSD 4.0

11. FreeBSD 4.0 : XFree86 4.0?

12. XFree86 4.0 and FreeBSD 4.0