XFree86 for a NEC Versa SX laptop...

Post by Paul D. Smit » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 05:13:29

Hi; does anyone have this setup working?

I installed Debian 2.2, so I'm using the XFree86 3.3.6 SVGA server.
This laptop has a Trident *9388 chipset (2M).

I tried both XF86Setup and xf86config.  I found a well-linked site for
this laptop (http://www.veryComputer.com/~plaut/sx/) which contains lots of
good information, but the XF86Config there doesn't work for me.  I've
tried it with and without various options listed in the Trident README
including no options, turning on/off accel, no_mmio, etc. etc.

What happens is this: the card works at 1024x768 under 8-bit mode, but
if I try to use 16-bit mode I get a weird off-white screen with kind of
white "waves" across it for a few seconds, then it locks up hard (no
C-A-D, no C-A-F1, etc.)  Even the power button is dead; I have to remove
the battery to reset it.

I know this kind of system should do 16-bit color; others have gotten it
to work on theirs (at least that's what I've seen on the web).

I've tried older SVGA servers: 3.3.3.1, 3.3.4, 3.3.5, 3.3.6.  None
worked.  3.3.3.1 is the oldest I could find (the above page mentions
using 3.3.2).

I'm not e*d about updating to 4.0.x, but I will if people say it
works.

Does anyone have this laptop working in 16-bit mode?  Can they send me
details on their config for it?  Thanks!

1. Running X on a NEC Versa SX laptop

I have installed RH 7.1 on a NEC Versa SX laptop with a Trident Cyber 9388
video with 2Mb

During the install process X seems to be configured properly. 16bits
1024x768 tests out properly during the install.
When I try startx the display is garbled, seems like the icons and the fonts
are extremely enlarged.
I have tried editing the XF86Config file and have not been able to correct
this.Has anyone been able to configure X on this laptop?
Anyone know the Specifications for the LCD of this system and what modelines
work for X?
Can anyone send me a XF86Config file that works please.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. All-in-One Machines with Linux?

3. XFree86 on NEC Versa SX

4. where can i find aix distributiv's?

5. RH5.1 Xfree86 assistance needed for NEC Versa SX Lattop

6. Bash.1.14.1

7. X library - not founed.

8. NEC Versa SX and XFree 4.x Problem

9. Linux on NEC Versa SX

10. X 3.3.6 on NEC Versa SX

11. NEC Versa-SX notebook

12. Nec Versa SX - Trident Cyber9388 setup problem