Couldn't load XKB Keymap

Post by Ralph Albert » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I get the following message when I shut down X while logged in as root:

Quote:>Error:    Cannot open "/var/X11R6/xkb/compiled/server0.xkm" to write

keyboard description

Quote:>Exiting: Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap.

I do not get this same message if I am logged on as a regular user.

Can anybody tell me what the problem is and how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks, Ralph

Couldn't load XKB Keymap

Post by John Mui » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Ralph,

I had this very same problem yesterday, and all that I did was create the
missing directories...

mkdir -p /var/X11R6/xkb/compiled

Actually, only xkb/compiled is missing, and after the display manager
finished starting up, nothing was written to that directory! The error
messages went away, and I was able to use my backspace (102 key keyboard).

Later,

John

> I get the following message when I shut down X while logged in as root:

> >Error:    Cannot open "/var/X11R6/xkb/compiled/server0.xkm" to write
> keyboard description

> >Exiting: Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap.

> I do not get this same message if I am logged on as a regular user.

> Can anybody tell me what the problem is and how would I go about fixing it?

> Thanks, Ralph

Couldn't load XKB Keymap

Post by Ralph Albert » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks. I'll give your suggestion a try. I wonder what happened to my
system. I didn't have those errors to begin with and I know I didn't remove
any directories. Hmmm!

  --Ralph

>Ralph,

>I had this very same problem yesterday, and all that I did was create the
>missing directories...

>mkdir -p /var/X11R6/xkb/compiled

>Actually, only xkb/compiled is missing, and after the display manager
>finished starting up, nothing was written to that directory! The error
>messages went away, and I was able to use my backspace (102 key keyboard).

>Later,

>John

>> I get the following message when I shut down X while logged in as root:

>> >Error:    Cannot open "/var/X11R6/xkb/compiled/server0.xkm" to write
>> keyboard description

>> >Exiting: Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap.

>> I do not get this same message if I am logged on as a regular user.

>> Can anybody tell me what the problem is and how would I go about fixing
it?

>> Thanks, Ralph

Couldn't load XKB Keymap

Post by Ralph Albert » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks. Your suggestion worked pefectly.

  --Ralph

>Ralph,

>I had this very same problem yesterday, and all that I did was create the
>missing directories...

>mkdir -p /var/X11R6/xkb/compiled

>Actually, only xkb/compiled is missing, and after the display manager
>finished starting up, nothing was written to that directory! The error
>messages went away, and I was able to use my backspace (102 key keyboard).

>Later,

>John

>> I get the following message when I shut down X while logged in as root:

>> >Error:    Cannot open "/var/X11R6/xkb/compiled/server0.xkm" to write
>> keyboard description

>> >Exiting: Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap.

>> I do not get this same message if I am logged on as a regular user.

>> Can anybody tell me what the problem is and how would I go about fixing
it?

>> Thanks, Ralph

1. Couldn't load XKB keymap

Hello...

I'm having a strange problem under FreeBSD-STABLE with XFree86 (from the
ports collection). I can't get accents nor special caracter (like
pipe...) to work. I have no problem under the console though.
I found this in my XFree86.0.log:

(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) XKB: layout: "fr"
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Anyone have an idea about what I did wrong.
Thanks in advance.

Antoine

2. Samba and Win95 net neighborhood

3. Couldn't load XKB keymap??? Please help--

4. Can You Help This Newbie Please ?

5. Couldn't load XKB keymap

6. TX chipset currently supported ?

7. Please Help! Can't load XKB Keymap!