news on x support for Radeon 9600 chipset rv350?

news on x support for Radeon 9600 chipset rv350?

Post by Anna Se » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:55:48

Hello,

I installed Red Hat 8.0 on a box with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card.
  I was unable to install a driver for this card, because it seems there
are none available.  Looking around I found that ATI did not release the
documentation for the rv350 chipset that runs on the Radeon 9600 Pro
video card, and since they haven't released a driver themselves, I am sol.

Is this still the case?  Does anyone have more information on this?

Also, I would appreciate recomendations on how to get minimal x
functionality without the accelerated capabilities of the video card.
My initial attempts at that last night resulted in a 20pt font login
screen....

Thanks,

Anna

Post by Hugo Lovhoide » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:20:33

> Hello,

> I installed Red Hat 8.0 on a box with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card.
>   I was unable to install a driver for this card, because it seems there
> are none available.  Looking around I found that ATI did not release the
> documentation for the rv350 chipset that runs on the Radeon 9600 Pro
> video card, and since they haven't released a driver themselves, I am sol.

> Is this still the case?  Does anyone have more information on this?

> Also, I would appreciate recomendations on how to get minimal x
> functionality without the accelerated capabilities of the video card.
> My initial attempts at that last night resulted in a 20pt font login
> screen....

http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html

Visit this site and download GLX1_LINUX_4.3.ZIP. I'm using it with an ATI
9800 Pro card on Red Hat 9. Download and install. Note: The configuration
script recommends using internal AGP. That didn't work for me. I had to
turn internal AGP off and use module agpgart (modprobe agpgart).

--
Mvh Hugo

1. Radeon 9600 TX - 3D support tackle (continued)

Hi all,

I just had a go with ATI's the latest FireGL drivers for XFree86 4.3.0,
v2.9.08-2 (link obtained from the "ATI 9700 radeon module broken in 4.3.0"
thread), and once again share the results here.

My system has a SiS 645 chipset (not SiS 648 as I have incorrectly stated in
an earlier post on this subject). Meanwhile I am running SuSE 8.2
(latest), kernel 2.4.20-4GB.

I tried the drivers on a fresh install. XFree86.0.log now finally does not
contain an unknown chipset message, instead it says:

(--) Chipset ATI R300 NF (R9600 TX) found

and further down, even the fglrx driver itself correctly sees:

(--) fglrx(0): Chipset: "ATI R300 NF (R9600 TX)" (Chipset = 0x4e46)

The ATI "fglrx" driver module still refuses to load with its own built-in
AGP support, although it claims that it is based on the same agpgart
version (0.99) as the linux agpgart module. I have to load the latter
before I can start X, which then comes up fine.

Unfortunately this does not do anything to my problem, being that the 3D
initialisation appears to go flawlessly as far as one can tell by
XFree86.0.log, but running fglrxinfo in X still comes up with:

ERROR: fglrx - unknown asic class
ERROR: fglrx - unknown asic class
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: (null)
OpenGL renderer string: (null)
OpenGL version string: (null)

So basically new drivers, old problem. Does anybody care at all ? Let me
know.

Regards,

Martin

2. Trying to set up PPP on Ultrix v4.4 but getting problems

3. RH 9 X support for ATI Radeon 9200/9600 Mobility cards

4. 800 x 600 Resolution

5. Radeon 9600 Pro "true" DVI output only works under X11

6. Embedded Linux Newsletter for Sep. 18, 2003

7. Redhat 9 and the Radeon 9600

8. vanm-???

9. Is it OK to plug Radeon 9600 on nForce2 under Linux?

10. Radeon 9200/9500/9600 questions

11. RADEON 9600 driver

12. Radeon 9600 Problem

13. Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Pro 128