File Associations on KDE

Post by Mahesh Upadhya » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

How do I do file associations on KDE?

For example, when I click on a mp3 file in the file manager, I want it
to open x11amp and play it.

please e-mail me

Mahesh Upadhyay

File Associations on KDE

Post by bur » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> How do I do file associations on KDE?

> For example, when I click on a mp3 file in the file manager, I want it
> to open x11amp and play it.

Open a kfm Window.
Open the "Edit" menu, Choose "Application" option
Open the "File" menu, choose the "New" > "Application" Option.
        Create a X11amp.kdelink file.
Edit the X11amp.kdelink files properties, the "Application" tab,
Look for the mp3 mime type in the right list box in the bottom of the dialog
        box and move it to the left list box.
Click OK.

Should work.   -burk

--

My Linux File Manager Page: http://www.pobox.com/~burk/LinuxFile.html

1. KDE 3.0.1, kcontrol->File Browsing->File Associations icon bug?

I'm using KDE 3.0.1 on a Red Hat 8.0 box, and it seems there's a bug in
the "File Associations" feature of the 'kcontrol' (a.k.a., "KDE Control
Center") application. Specifically, I'm unable to change the icon that's
associated with a given file/MIME type. Here's what I'm doing:

1) [bash]$ kcontrol

2) When the "KDE Control Center" window appears, select the "Index" tab
and then the "File Browsing | File Associations" option.

3) In the "Known Types" tree/listbox, select "application | pdf" (for
example).

4) On the "General" tab, click on the "icon button" (next to the
"Filename Patterns" control group).

5) When the "Select Icon - KDE Control Center" dialog appears, select
any displayed icon and click "OK" to close the dialog. The selected icon
image is now displayed on the "icon button" (next to the "Filename
Patterns" control group).

6) On the "KDE Control Center" window, click on the "Apply" button.

7) On the "Index" tab, select any option other than "File Browsing |
File Associations" (e.g., "Information"), and then re-select the "File
Browsing | File Associations" option.

8) In the "Known Types" listbox, select "application | pdf".

At this point, on my RH8.0 box, the icon image that's displayed on the
"icon button" is NOT the icon image that I selected in step 5; it is the
"original" icon image that was displayed on the icon button before I
performed step 5.

Is this a known bug with the kcontrol application (or some associated
applet) that ships w/ KDE 3.0.1, or, perhaps, with Red Hat 8.0's version
of KDE? I searched around in the KDE bug reporting database(*) but I
didn't find any bug reports on this particular issue. If someone else
can confirm this problem, I'll submit a bug report on it. Tia...

(*) http://bugs.kde.org

--
Jim

To reply, please remove "link" and change "nowhere" to "yahoo"
jfischer_link5809{at}nowhere.com

2. 3D API

3. Mozilla file association problem in KDE.

4. Slow TCP connection establishment

5. Can't reset file associations in kde 3

6. A jaz connected to a solaris 2.6 and to write pc format...

7. File Associations in KDE

8. What debian package contains fdformat?

9. KDE 3.1 beta and File Associations in konqueror

10. File Associations in Linux using KDE

11. File Associations Under KDE

12. Syntax for command line arguments in KDE file associations

13. KDE File Associations???