How do I do file associations on KDE?
For example, when I click on a mp3 file in the file manager, I want it
to open x11amp and play it.
please e-mail me
Open a kfm Window.Quote:> How do I do file associations on KDE?
> For example, when I click on a mp3 file in the file manager, I want it
> to open x11amp and play it.
Should work. -burk
> Mahesh Upadhyay
I'm using KDE 3.0.1 on a Red Hat 8.0 box, and it seems there's a bug in
the "File Associations" feature of the 'kcontrol' (a.k.a., "KDE Control
Center") application. Specifically, I'm unable to change the icon that's
associated with a given file/MIME type. Here's what I'm doing:
1) [bash]$ kcontrol
2) When the "KDE Control Center" window appears, select the "Index" tab
and then the "File Browsing | File Associations" option.
3) In the "Known Types" tree/listbox, select "application | pdf" (for
4) On the "General" tab, click on the "icon button" (next to the
"Filename Patterns" control group).
5) When the "Select Icon - KDE Control Center" dialog appears, select
any displayed icon and click "OK" to close the dialog. The selected icon
image is now displayed on the "icon button" (next to the "Filename
Patterns" control group).
6) On the "KDE Control Center" window, click on the "Apply" button.
7) On the "Index" tab, select any option other than "File Browsing |
File Associations" (e.g., "Information"), and then re-select the "File
Browsing | File Associations" option.
8) In the "Known Types" listbox, select "application | pdf".
At this point, on my RH8.0 box, the icon image that's displayed on the
"icon button" is NOT the icon image that I selected in step 5; it is the
"original" icon image that was displayed on the icon button before I
performed step 5.
Is this a known bug with the kcontrol application (or some associated
applet) that ships w/ KDE 3.0.1, or, perhaps, with Red Hat 8.0's version
of KDE? I searched around in the KDE bug reporting database(*) but I
didn't find any bug reports on this particular issue. If someone else
can confirm this problem, I'll submit a bug report on it. Tia...
To reply, please remove "link" and change "nowhere" to "yahoo"
2. 3D API