SiS 86c205 and XFree ??

Post by nbh » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an AST computer (pentium 100) and I can't run
the X server. More exactly, it runs in 320x200.
My video card is an SiS 86c205, and my monitor probably
a generic super vga 1024x768. My os is linux RedHat 4.0
and the XFree distribution is the 3.2 one.

Has anyone else install this video card ?

Thanks in advance.

1. XF86 with SiS 86C205

Hi,
hope that someone can answer this or suggest another newsgroup to try.
I am trying to install XF863.3.6 on a machine that has "on-board" video and
sound.  The video chip is an SiS 86C205 that appears to not have its own
memory, using instead shared system RAM.  When I run SuperProbe etc, the
report is that there is no memory.  Yet I note that the xf86 supported cards
lists the SiS 86C205.  Are there other versions of this that do have memory?
Do I need to switch off PnP or something?
More info: the mobo is:  GMB-P56SPC
                                      video chip is SiS 86C205, ( also
appears to use something else called the 5596 on the motherboard).
Hope someone can help - I have found other people asking this question, but
no answers!
Also, can anyone tell me where to find information on the SuSE xsis server?
I got an xsis.rpm which provides a server that appears to support the 630
and 570 chips, but I would like to read about it and cannot find info on
suse.uk

Thanks,
O.

2. IP MASQ/default gateway

3. XFree86 and SiS 86c205??

4. xhost and xset in Gnome startup

5. SiS 86C205 video card problems...

6. Linux Ftape HOWTO

7. XFree86 and SiS 86c205 ??

8. cleanup for i810 chipset for 2.5.5-pre1.

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. SiS 5598 with XFree

11. Problems configuring XFree with SiS 630 chip

12. "SiS 6326" with XFree 4.0.3

13. Xfree 4.2.0 and SiS 310 chipset