[X and XGA-1]

Post by Markus Schorer » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

i've serious problem to get XFree_AGX to work with my XGA-2.

Problem:
i have:
- a PS/2E (9533-GB7) with an onboard XGA-2
- slackware 3.0.0, kernel 1.2.13, 12 MB RAM, Xfree 3.1.2
- i've read the README.agx

i can start and shutdown X, BUT the screen is corrupted:
- i don't get the steelblue background, everything's in b&w
- the screen is white for the upper maybe 400 pixel's
- the fvwm pager shows ghostimages over the full screenwidth
- the cursor is visible only in the upper (white) part of the
  screen
- if i clickright/left i get only a arrow <= cursor, no menu
- after startup, no screen updates happen, except cursor movement

any clue yet? who is the one described in the XF_AGX manuals
that tested X with a PS/2 50 ??

anything appreciated,
markus

[ Attached Message ]

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 18:04:22 +0000
Subject: Re: Changing color-depth "on the fly"?

<SNIP>
> : unusual.  I don't know of ANY windowing system (or so-called operating
> : system) that supports this.  One reason is that it is either a LOT of
> : work for an application to be expected to do for a rare event, or it
> : means applications are ridiculously shielded from the phsical layer
> : (eg. they could not ask "Is the display monochrome or colour") making
> : them both inefficient and un-user-friendly.
<SNIP>
> Further, windows95 can change display depth on the fly.  Admitadly, all
> your arguments about user-unfriendly and ineffeciency do apply here,
> but it can be done.

> --randy

Add MacOS and you've covered a 'friendly' OS also.

Kai.

                   Interaction Design Research

Design Researcher

Brunel University                            fax: +44 (0)1784 472879
Department of Design              voice: +44 (0)1784 431341 Ext. 244

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 18:04:22 +0000

<SNIP>
> : unusual.  I don't know of ANY windowing system (or so-called operating
> : system) that supports this.  One reason is that it is either a LOT of
> : work for an application to be expected to do for a rare event, or it
> : means applications are ridiculously shielded from the phsical layer
> : (eg. they could not ask "Is the display monochrome or colour") making
> : them both inefficient and un-user-friendly.
<SNIP>
> Further, windows95 can change display depth on the fly.  Admitadly, all
> your arguments about user-unfriendly and ineffeciency do apply here,
> but it can be done.

> --randy

Add MacOS and you've covered a 'friendly' OS also.

Kai.

                   Interaction Design Research

Design Researcher

Brunel University                            fax: +44 (0)1784 472879
Department of Design              voice: +44 (0)1784 431341 Ext. 244

[X and XGA-1]

Post by Henry A Wor » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Send me your XF86Config, server output, server output when
started with the '-probeonly' option, and any info you can
get about the XGA's configuration (instance number, io port
addresses, mem-mapped coprocessor port addresses, XGA BIOS
base address,..., check boot messages and for any DOS XGA
configuration utilities.

What has been reported for some PS-2 version is:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "XGA-2"
    Chipset   "XGA-2"
    Instance  7
    IObase    0x2170
    COPbase   0xC7F80
EndSection

However, the XGAs are very configurable (the Catseye XGA-2 card
has over 30 switches on it), your system may be mapped to a different
instance number. Probing works for the ISA bus, but I doubt
whether it will work on a MCA system, just specify the identifier
and chipset and see what the server's output says.

--

No, I don't speak for Amdahl... I'm not even sure I speak for myself.

1. X support for XGA/XGA-2?

Hi,

I just checked the March FAQ list, but this doesn't seem to be answered
definitively: do any of the Linux X servers support XGA or XGA-2?  I
don't have Linux yet, but I'm in the process of acquiring the hardware
that I need.  I'd like to know if XGA-2 is an option for running X
under Linux.  Thanks.
--

2. secure ftp and ssh ?

3. Setting up the XFree86_AGX for IBM XGA-1 + 8515

4. Crisp: Please help w/ Alt key

5. Linux/X11 for PS/2's (with IBM SCSI and XGA or XGA-2)

6. Unix Compatibility(was: Computability)

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. NEED HELP with FTP

9. XGA resolution with XF86_SVGA on laptop

10. XGA 1280x1024 anyone?

11. X and XGA-2

12. XGA with IBM PS/2 95 XP 486

13. XGA fixed freq. Monitor 9517