Best file editor

Post by Larry R. Gra » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am fairly new to linux, and am just starting to edit my system files.  I
was wondering what program long time users feel is the best.  I have tried
Pico and Emacs, but they dont seem that great.  Any opinions?

Best file editor

Post by Leiming Qi » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am fairly new to linux, and am just starting to edit my system files.  I
>was wondering what program long time users feel is the best.  I have tried
>Pico and Emacs, but they dont seem that great.  Any opinions?

This kind of question usually leads to Holly Editor War:-)) But anyway, if
you've already tried pico and emacs---and not satisfied, I'd personally
recommend VIM, especially it's 5.0x beta version. And if it turns out that
you don't like any VI clones---as many people do---you can try JED and JOE.
If you are a programmer, WPE might be worth trying, if you comes from the
MS-World as I did, NEDIT might suits you well. Sorry I didn't provide you
with any links, but they are quite easy to locate using any search engine.

HTH,

yours
Leiming

--

Digital Signal Processing Group          | Under Professor Douglas. L. Jones
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign | VI lover, Webmania, PC expert!

Best file editor

Post by Victor Wagn » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: I am fairly new to linux, and am just starting to edit my system files.  I
: was wondering what program long time users feel is the best.  I have tried
: Pico and Emacs, but they dont seem that great.  Any opinions?

Emacs is one of two GREAT editors for Unix. But, unfortunately,
one almost unable to use it if it was not one's first editor.

Another GREAT ediror is vi. It is much smaller than EMACS and also
would be hard to learn for former DOS/Windows user.
I suggest to start with vim or elvis, which are advanced vi clones.
vim is usially default editor, available even in single-user mode.
You have to read documentation a bit, get used to its mode concept,
but few month after you'll begin to search for DOS port of vim, to carry
around in your pocket, in case that you have to edit something on someone's
DOS machine. It is hard way, if you want to become real UNIXer:-)

If you just want to get your system working and you are familiar
with things like Qedit or build in editor of Norton Commander,
try xwpe. It is clone of borland IDE and, despite of package name, can be
run on console. (you call it xwpe, and its an X application,
call it wpe and it runs on the console).

There was also rumours that nedit is good thing. Don't know.

If you are running X, you can try my notepad
(http://www.ice.ru/~vitus/works/tau.html)
The best feature of it is that it is small (about 600 lines of Tcl code)
and you can modify it if you wish.

Institute for Commerce          Office:7-(095)-333-2022
Engineering                     Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Programmer                      http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus