problem with xterm terminfo settings in 3.3.6

problem with xterm terminfo settings in 3.3.6

Post by Michal Szymans » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Hi all,

I've just installed RedHat 6.2 (with XFree86 3.3.6) on one of our PCs.
If I run X11 locally on it, everything is fine. But if I log in
through LAN from a Sun Solaris machine (OpenWindows - probably still
X11 R5?), soon after I use editor or 'less', the screen gets screwed up
- parts of it are in reverse video etc. I have found dozen or so
xterm* entries in /usr/.../terminfo/x directory and it seems that
if I make "setenv TERM xterm-r5" in the window where I am remotely
logged to the PC, it solves the problem. But this is not the solution
I would be satisfied with because it is not easy to automate - I have a
mixed architecture cluster of PCs and Sparcs and if I log from PC to PC
this would probably not be proper step to change the TERM this way.

Any hints on this topic? is there any "xterm*" entry in terminfo
directory which could serve as "universal xterm entry", applicable
to local use, remote from Sun and remote from another PC?

regards, Michal.

--

  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

Post by T.E.Dicke » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

> Hi all,
> I've just installed RedHat 6.2 (with XFree86 3.3.6) on one of our PCs.
> If I run X11 locally on it, everything is fine. But if I log in
> through LAN from a Sun Solaris machine (OpenWindows - probably still
> X11 R5?), soon after I use editor or 'less', the screen gets screwed up

probably (depends on how old - I think they went to X11R6 in Solaris 2.6).

Quote:> - parts of it are in reverse video etc. I have found dozen or so
> xterm* entries in /usr/.../terminfo/x directory and it seems that
> if I make "setenv TERM xterm-r5" in the window where I am remotely
> logged to the PC, it solves the problem. But this is not the solution
> I would be satisfied with because it is not easy to automate - I have a
> mixed architecture cluster of PCs and Sparcs and if I log from PC to PC
> this would probably not be proper step to change the TERM this way.
> Any hints on this topic? is there any "xterm*" entry in terminfo
> directory which could serve as "universal xterm entry", applicable
> to local use, remote from Sun and remote from another PC?

not really - XFree86 xterm has more features, but recognizes everything
that's in X11R5 or X11R6 xterm.  If you were guaranteed to be always
xterm, you could try customizing qterm - I made a patch a while back
for this

        http://www.veryComputer.com/

but it's not practical for other types of emulator (sun-cmd, for example,
or badly-broken "xterm" clones).

what I do is simply use an alias, depending on how I get here:

alias   pc         'setenv TERM ansi-pc'
alias   mc         'setenv TERM minicom; setenv LANG en_US'
alias   vc         'setenv TERM vt100-color; setenv LANG en_US'
alias   tt         'setenv TERM teraterm; setenv LANG en_US'
alias   xc         'setenv TERM xterm; setenv LANG en_US'

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/