What's the best newsreader for binary downloads?

What's the best newsreader for binary downloads?

Post by Phillip P » Tue, 22 May 2001 07:00:06

I am looking for an easy to use news reader that will let me connect to
multiple news server (must accept username and password prompt, and let
me add custom news server names/IP addresses), multiple connections to
download, be able to resume downloads, etc. The program should be
similar to Windows' NewsBin: http://www.newsbin.com, but I would like a
Linux version newsreader with similar features.

I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get
overwritten, etc.

I am using a Pentium II 300 Mhz with 128 MB of RAM, RedHat Linux v7.1, a

newsreader is text-based like Tin (faster this way).
--
"What I fear most from the stars is not aliens for they have
intelligence, but I fear social creatures like ants, that can overrun

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

Post by Ian Stirlin » Tue, 22 May 2001 08:36:01

>I am looking for an easy to use news reader that will let me connect to
>multiple news server (must accept username and password prompt, and let
>me add custom news server names/IP addresses), multiple connections to
>download, be able to resume downloads, etc. The program should be
>similar to Windows' NewsBin: http://www.newsbin.com, but I would like a
>Linux version newsreader with similar features.

Search for aub.

It's a perl script that you point at a news-server, and it downloads
files.
It's not perfect.

"I meant, have you ploughed the ocean waves at all?" Colon gave him a cunning
look. 'Ah, you can't catch me with that one, sir' he said 'Everyone knows
horses sink'                                       --  Terry Pratchett - Jingo

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 23 May 2001 14:24:59

> I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
> brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get

I've used tin forever and never seen this! Send a bug report in if you
really have a reproducible problem.

Peter

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 23 May 2001 14:28:21

> I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
> brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get

Just for kicks, I saved  your news message as

 /tmp/'''''''''''((((((((((hhhhhh

tin 1.4.1 release 19991201 ("Polish") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-99 Iain Lea.

works fine.

Peter

Post by a.. » Wed, 23 May 2001 15:12:26

>> I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
>> brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get
> Just for kicks, I saved  your news message as
>  /tmp/'''''''''''((((((((((hhhhhh
> tin 1.4.1 release 19991201 ("Polish") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-99 Iain Lea.
> works fine.

No, if the binary filename has it. I tag all the files, and do save all
thread as binary (uudecoded).
--
"I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
--

Post by a.. » Wed, 23 May 2001 15:14:47

>> I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
>> brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get
> I've used tin forever and never seen this! Send a bug report in if you
> really have a reproducible problem.

I did a year ago. Basically, there would be a thread titled as:
REQ: Ant's Song #1 [1/10].mp3

I save its binary attachment, and it becomes Ant or something like that.

If there was a group of file similar, then the latest ones overwrite
the old one because the filename is saved as Ant. :(
--

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 23 May 2001 17:39:26

>>> I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
>>> brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get
>> I've used tin forever and never seen this! Send a bug report in if you
>> really have a reproducible problem.
> I did a year ago. Basically, there would be a thread titled as:
> REQ: Ant's Song #1 [1/10].mp3
> I save its binary attachment, and it becomes Ant or something like that.

No, the filename above is illegal! It contains a "/". You have to save
it as something else. Just saving it on its own will save it as:

   Ant\'s\ Song\ #1\ \[1/10\].mp3

which is NOT what you want (I know it does, because I just tried it).
That is the file 10\].mp3 in the directory Ant\'s\ Song\ #1\ \[1 .
You wanted to save it as possibly:

   Ant\'s\ Song\ #1\ \[1\ of\ 10\].mp3

which is a legal file name. So filter through a trivial program, or
don't save things called that.

Peter

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 23 May 2001 17:48:02

>>> I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
>>> brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get
>> Just for kicks, I saved  your news message as
>>  /tmp/'''''''''''((((((((((hhhhhh
>> tin 1.4.1 release 19991201 ("Polish") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-99 Iain Lea.
>> works fine.
> No, if the binary filename has it. I tag all the files, and do save all
> thread as binary (uudecoded).

And? What does the "No" in your sentence mean?

Peter

Post by a.. » Thu, 24 May 2001 05:34:07

>>> I've used tin forever and never seen this! Send a bug report in if you
>>> really have a reproducible problem.
>> I did a year ago. Basically, there would be a thread titled as:
>> REQ: Ant's Song #1 [1/10].mp3
>> I save its binary attachment, and it becomes Ant or something like that.
> No, the filename above is illegal! It contains a "/". You have to save
> it as something else. Just saving it on its own will save it as:
>    Ant\'s\ Song\ #1\ \[1/10\].mp3
> which is NOT what you want (I know it does, because I just tried it).
> That is the file 10\].mp3 in the directory Ant\'s\ Song\ #1\ \[1 .
> You wanted to save it as possibly:
>    Ant\'s\ Song\ #1\ \[1\ of\ 10\].mp3
> which is a legal file name. So filter through a trivial program, or
> don't save things called that.

How do I do that automatically? I don't want to do that manually! Basically
I tag over 300 threads. :) So I hit T to tag threads, s to save, a for
articles, u for uudecode, and then do something else while downloading. I
shouldn't be at the keyboard during this process :). How do I filter this
with tin?

It is not like I can tell people "you can't use that illegal filenames
because I use Linux!" :(.
--

Post by a.. » Thu, 24 May 2001 05:35:23

>>> Just for kicks, I saved  your news message as
>>>  /tmp/'''''''''''((((((((((hhhhhh
>>> tin 1.4.1 release 19991201 ("Polish") [UNIX] (c) Copyright 1991-99 Iain Lea.
>>> works fine.
>> No, if the binary filename has it. I tag all the files, and do save all
>> thread as binary (uudecoded).
> And? What does the "No" in your sentence mean?

Uhh, nevermind. I wanted to aborted this post but somehow I hit the
wrong keys. Argh. :(
--

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 26 May 2001 01:50:08

>> which is a legal file name. So filter through a trivial program, or
>> don't save things called that.
> How do I do that automatically? I don't want to do that manually! Basically

Hit "|" for "pipe" and follow it by a program of your choice that does
something sensible.

Quote:> It is not like I can tell people "you can't use that illegal filenames
> because I use Linux!" :(.

Well, you don't have to, but yes you can. You can also talk to the tin
author about it, but I don't see anything wrong with tin's behaviour.
How is it to know that you wanted the name converted to a_of_b instead
of a subdirectory a/ made and the file placed in a/b ?

The best you can hope for is a runtime option or a custom adition to
the menu. Both would be trivial for the author to give you, so ask him for
them. I'd just go for "|" and some program that works magic. I use
the program called "juju".

Peter

What's the best newsreader for binary downloads?

Thank you for the tips, Peter. I need to find juju (probably freshmeat). :)

--
"I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
--
  If you are replying to Ant's news post by e-mail, then please kindly
       remove ANT in the e-mail addresses listed below. Note the CaSe!
  /\___/\

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

What's the best newsreader for binary downloads?

Post by a.. » Sat, 26 May 2001 05:40:56

Quote:>>> which is a legal file name. So filter through a trivial program, or
>>> don't save things called that.
>> How do I do that automatically? I don't want to do that manually! Basically
> Hit "|" for "pipe" and follow it by a program of your choice that does
> something sensible.
>> It is not like I can tell people "you can't use that illegal filenames
>> because I use Linux!" :(.
> Well, you don't have to, but yes you can. You can also talk to the tin
> author about it, but I don't see anything wrong with tin's behaviour.
> How is it to know that you wanted the name converted to a_of_b instead
> of a subdirectory a/ made and the file placed in a/b ?
> The best you can hope for is a runtime option or a custom adition to
> the menu. Both would be trivial for the author to give you, so ask him for
> them. I'd just go for "|" and some program that works magic. I use
> the program called "juju".

Peter, where did you get Juju? I couldn't find it on Freshmeat.net.
Thanks! :)
--
"I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
--
  If you are replying to Ant's news post by e-mail, then please kindly
       remove ANT in the e-mail addresses listed below. Note the CaSe!
  /\___/\

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

What's the best newsreader for binary downloads?

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Sat, 26 May 2001 06:56:13

On Thu, 24 May 2001 20:40:56 GMT,

+ > the menu. Both would be trivial for the author to give you, so ask him for
+ > them. I'd just go for "|" and some program that works magic. I use
+ > the program called "juju".

+ Peter, where did you get Juju? I couldn't find it on Freshmeat.net.
+ Thanks! :)

Using google <url:http://www.google.com/linux/>, I got to
<url:http://hottemax.uni-muenster.de/~grover/juju.html> in two
steps...

James
isn't looking good, either.

Post by a.. » Sun, 27 May 2001 06:12:37

> On Thu, 24 May 2001 20:40:56 GMT,

> + > the menu. Both would be trivial for the author to give you, so ask him for
> + > them. I'd just go for "|" and some program that works magic. I use
> + > the program called "juju".
> + Peter, where did you get Juju? I couldn't find it on Freshmeat.net.
> + Thanks! :)
> Using google <url:http://www.google.com/linux/>, I got to
> <url:http://hottemax.uni-muenster.de/~grover/juju.html> in two
> steps...

Thanks!
--
"I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow
--
  If you are replying to Ant's news post by e-mail, then please kindly
       remove ANT in the e-mail addresses listed below. Note the CaSe!
  /\___/\

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

1. What's the best newsreader for binary downloads?

I am looking for an easy to use news reader that will let me connect to
multiple news server (must accept username and password prompt, and let
me add custom news server names/IP addresses), multiple connections to
download, be able to resume downloads, etc. The program should be
similar to Windows' NewsBin: http://www.newsbin.com, but I would like a
Linux version newsreader with similar features.

I used to use Tin, but it had problems saving files that had astrophes,
brackets, symbols, etc. Many times, file names would get cut off, get
overwritten, etc.

I am using a Pentium II 300 Mhz with 128 MB of RAM, RedHat Linux v7.1, a

newsreader is text-based like Tin (faster this way).

I look forward to receiving replies soon. Thanks in advance! :)
--
"What I fear most from the stars is not aliens for they have
intelligence, but I fear social creatures like ants, that can overrun
humans, that feel no emotion, and see us as an easy prey source."
--unknown
--
If you are replying to Ant's news post by e-mail, please kindly remove
ANT in the return e-mail address or the ones listed below. Note: CaSe!
  /\___/\                             Phillip Pi (Ant) from EarthLink.

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

2. ?Library for ASCII-Windows and Motif

3. Serial Communication

4. VI editor, replacement string pattern

5. Best server? Was: What is the best newsreader?

6. Samba Help

7. What's the best native FreeBSD newsreader?

8. (OT) The world's best newsreader just got even better...

9. can't download Apache binaries - connection is dropped

10. Balanced binary trees -- what's the best method?

11. Newsreaders allowing to mark messages for later download ?