Getting XFree86 to work with ATI 3D Rage Pro

Getting XFree86 to work with ATI 3D Rage Pro

Post by Babak Hassib » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just installed Red Hat Linux 5.0 on my machine but I can't get XFree86
to work.
My video card is ATI 3D Rage Pro and my monitor Sony CPD-220VS. (When I run
Xconfigurator my card does not appear in the list of cards supported, but
my monitor
does.)

I've tried both the Mach64 and SVGA servers, and have fooled quite a bit
around with
the Config file to no avail. Somehow, running X -probeonly cannot figure
out my
dot-clocks, so I'm not sure how to fill in the correct Modelines.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help from any of you who may have been able to
get X
running with the ATI 3D Rage Pro card.

Thanks in advance,
Babak

Post by Babak Hassi » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> > Anyway, I'd appreciate any help from any of you who may have been able to
> > get X
> > running with the ATI 3D Rage Pro card.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Babak

> It is strange that so many seems to have problems with ATI cards. After
> upgrading to Xfree86 3.3.1 I didn't have any serious problems with

> http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html for an updated driver.

> --
> Tim Laursen

Thanks Tim! I downloaded the Mach64 driver from
http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.htm and everything
now works like a charm. Their driver supports the
ATI 3D Rage Pro card and that's all that was needed.

Thanks again,
Babak