Is my Fvwm-2.0.42 alive

Post by Jack P » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

        I downloaded Fvwm-2.0.42 from sunsite.unc.edu. and I compiled
it. everything went ok. But, when I ran X windows, there was the same
screen coming out as it was before. would anybody on the net be able
to tell me how to upgrade from Fvwm-1.XX to Fvwm-2.0.42. Thank you in
advance.

Is my Fvwm-2.0.42 alive

Post by Brian McCashi » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>         I downloaded Fvwm-2.0.42 from sunsite.unc.edu. and I compiled
> it. everything went ok. But, when I ran X windows, there was the same
> screen coming out as it was before. would anybody on the net be able
> to tell me how to upgrade from Fvwm-1.XX to Fvwm-2.0.42. Thank you in
> advance.

Check the last line of your .xinitrc
Change fvwm to fvwm2 or whatever the name
of the execacutable is.

Is my Fvwm-2.0.42 alive

Post by Don » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>    I downloaded Fvwm-2.0.42 from sunsite.unc.edu. and I compiled
> it. everything went ok. But, when I ran X windows, there was the same
> screen coming out as it was before. would anybody on the net be able
> to tell me how to upgrade from Fvwm-1.XX to Fvwm-2.0.42. Thank you in
> advance.

I have something like 2.0.39. I've seen .41 and .42. They suck, they don't
work half as well. In fact, if the one I've got had a page lock toggle,
I'd say it should be the release version.

When I installed fvwm2, I did it by hand because I was suspicious of the
install script. (I tried it later on a duplicate copy of my system, and
sure enough it screwed up the background of fvwm1)

I can't remember, but you might have to do xmkmf in the source directory
before you type make. The manual will help - RTFM.

If you do a make, you will have an fvwm2 binary, and a bunch of module
binaries. You can then do make install, if you're a trusting sort. I wasn't,
I did it by hand. It ended up not mattering anyway, even if fvwm1 *did*
get screwed up, I haven't used it since the day I installed fvwm2.

Anyway, if you want to install it by hand, you've got a little bit of work
ahead of you... busywork, mostly.

Go to /etc/X11, which is really /var/X11R6/lib/. Make a directory called
fvwm2. You'll want to put all the module executables there. FvwmAudio,
for example. You also want your system defaults file, and finally you
need to put the xpmroot executable. (It's not from the module directories)
Then put fvwm2 (the binary) in the same place as fvwm1 (fvwm). Really all
the work is going to each directory and copying the executable. Much
faster if you know how to use the find program. And don't forget to chown
and chmod it properly when you're done, if you need to.

Good luck.

PS: fvwm2 developers: I appreciate your efforts a lot, but I appreciate your
efforts up to .39 a lot more than I appreciate your efforts since then.

--

  "It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.  By
  definition, there are already enough people to do that." - G. H. Hardy

Is my Fvwm-2.0.42 alive

Post by Patrice Forti » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: >
: >         I downloaded Fvwm-2.0.42 from sunsite.unc.edu. and I compiled
: > it. everything went ok. But, when I ran X windows, there was the same
: > screen coming out as it was before. would anybody on the net be able
: > to tell me how to upgrade from Fvwm-1.XX to Fvwm-2.0.42. Thank you in
: > advance.

: Check the last line of your .xinitrc
: Change fvwm to fvwm2 or whatever the name
: of the execacutable is.

  You also have to build a .fvwm2rc.
.fvwmrc and .fvwm2rc are *NOT* compatible.

Lokh.

Is my Fvwm-2.0.42 alive

Post by Philippe Tro » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

    Jack>    I downloaded Fvwm-2.0.42 from sunsite.unc.edu. and I
    Jack> compiled it. everything went ok. But, when I ran X windows,
    Jack> there was the same screen coming out as it was before. would
    Jack> anybody on the net be able to tell me how to upgrade from
    Jack> Fvwm-1.XX to Fvwm-2.0.42. Thank you in advance.

If you didn't touch the imake templates, then you have a 'fvwm2'
excutable, not 'fvwm'.
Did you 'make install' too ?

Phil.

Is my Fvwm-2.0.42 alive

Post by Jay Va » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>    Jack>        I downloaded Fvwm-2.0.42 from sunsite.unc.edu. and I
>    Jack> compiled it. everything went ok. But, when I ran X windows,
>    Jack> there was the same screen coming out as it was before. would
>    Jack> anybody on the net be able to tell me how to upgrade from
>    Jack> Fvwm-1.XX to Fvwm-2.0.42. Thank you in advance.

>If you didn't touch the imake templates, then you have a 'fvwm2'
>excutable, not 'fvwm'.
>Did you 'make install' too ?

>Phil.

The same thing just happened to me too.. I compiled fvwm-2.0.42 w/out
changing any of the templates.. I did all the procedures in the
INSTALL file, but no where to be seen on my system was a
fwvm2 file. I did a 'make install' and a 'make install.man'..  Ironically,
the man pages installed when I did a find. Could anyone tell me
what the problem is.. did I*up somehow?

Thanks.
Jay

1. Compile fvwm2.0.42

Hi all,

When i want to compile fvwm2.0.42 i have the following problem.

after i do xmkmf

i try make MakeMakefiles

then the problem arises:
Makefile:708: *** missing separator. Stop.

I am using Slackware 96 from infomagic (green set)
XFree 3.2

Linux: Why use Windows when there is a door.

2. X locks system tight

3. [Benchmark] contest 0.42 now on OSDL/STP

4. Webmin

5. Compile fvwm2.0.42

6. Lockups on boot floppies / stem hangs

7. fvwm2.0.42 or fvwm95

8. Sound Blaster AWE 64 Value Problem...

9. 2.5.40{-mm1} with contest 0.42

10. ANNOUNCE: NetForge Web Server 0.42

11. Make build failure v2.0.42 under digital unix 4.0d

12. which fvwm am i running?

13. fvwm-2.xx