xdm doesn't execute commands

Post by Harry Blais » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi, everyone.

I'm using RedHat 4.0 with XF86 3.2A.  When I start X with startx, all
the commands are working fine including executable files for
applications I'm running.   But when I'm in xdm, the commands are not
recognized.  Even "shutdown -r now" returns a "bash: command not found".
So I have to use "/sbin/shutdown -r now" to shut the system down.

What could be the problem.  I have gone back and made sure that the
directories are in my path.  Any help would be appreciated.

-Harry

1. ksh problem: fc doesn't execute edited command

I'm using ksh (Version M, 11/16/88i) on SunOS 5.6. I use vi as my
FCEDIT external editor. So I invoke it with e.g. "fc" or "fc 42". vi
starts up, with a filename like /tmp/sh24767.12.  Problem is, when I
save and quit with ZZ (or :wq for that matter), the command in the
buffer is not executed by ksh. I just get dumped back to my prompt.

If I do a :w then ctrl-z while I'm in vi, the command gets executed.
But that's not the way it's supposed to work. And that way I have to

I have permissions to write to /tmp and vi doesn't give me any error
messages.

There are no other ksh users around here, so no local expert to help.

I couldn't find anything that seemed relevant in a newsgroup and Web
search.

Anyone know how I might fix this?

2. SCRIPT TO SEND SMS

3. xdm problem: rlogin doesn't work under xdm

4. C-Compiler on Solaris-CD

5. RE : DIFFICULT: Can't execute system command from FVWM, but can from the command line

6. find Question

7. Perl 5.001 doesn't execute 'pwd'

8. pthread_mutexattr_setkind_np or pthread_mutexattr_settype

9. emacs shell-command-on-region command can't execute on Slackware.

10. How to execute a command in a 'newgrp'

11. .cshrc and 'exec' as the first command to execute.

12. can I have vi 'edit-mode' commands executed as a macro

13. XDM makes xterm's baud zero (but xinit doesn't)?