Anybody know a good GUI newsreader for X??

Anybody know a good GUI newsreader for X??

Post by M Arnes » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

just lookin for a nice GUI newsreader.  Netscape news sux (at least 2.02 does).

thanks for any advice!!

Mark Arneson

Post by Mike Fris » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>just lookin for a nice GUI newsreader.  Netscape news sux (at least 2.02 does).

        If you find one, let us all know :-)  Seriously, there is xvnews
and xrn, but last time I checked, neither supported threading.  I'd love
to see an X version of Tin.

Mike.

Mike Frisch                                        (416) 496-2200 Ext. 2272
Software Engineer
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.                 North York, Ontario, Canada

            Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer

Anybody know a good GUI newsreader for X??

Post by Robert Co » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>         If you find one, let us all know :-)  Seriously, there is xvnews
> and xrn, but last time I checked, neither supported threading.  I'd love
> to see an X version of Tin.

Try knews.  Don't know the url, sorry.

robert

Anybody know a good GUI newsreader for X??

Post by Graham Irvin » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> just lookin for a nice GUI newsreader.  Netscape news sux (at least 2.02 does).

> thanks for any advice!!

 KNEWS-0.9.7

Anybody know a good GUI newsreader for X??

        I would suggest knews. It is a fully threaded X news reader.

Post by Jonathan Kame » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

|>         If you find one, let us all know :-)  Seriously, there is xvnews
|> and xrn, but last time I checked, neither supported threading.  I'd love
|> to see an X version of Tin.

The current beta release of XRN has the beginnings of threading support
(articles in a group can be sorted by thread, and the Subject lines in
the article list are indented to show threading), and more support
(e.g., killing threads and sub-threads) will be added before this
release goes into production).

It has some other interesting features that weren't in the last
production release, including automatic kill-file entry timeouts (i.e.,
kill-file entries that aren't activated for a certain period of time
are automatically removed from the kill file), more flexible
author-based killing, and kill-file inclusion (i.e., a kill file can
include other kill files).

If you're interested, you can get the source code for the current beta
release from <URL:ftp://ftp.cam.ov.com/pub/xrn/beta.tgz>.  If you do
this, I recommend that you subscribe to the xrn-users mailing list as
described in the README file of the release.

Post by Vladimir Loba » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > just lookin for a nice GUI newsreader.  Netscape news sux (at least 2.02 does).

> > thanks for any advice!!

>  KNEWS-0.9.7

Am i the only one to use Netscape News ? :)

--
                                 .--------------------------------------.
.-------------------------------/      "Computium ergo foodium"

`-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

Post by Mike Fris » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>If you're interested, you can get the source code for the current beta
>release from <URL:ftp://ftp.cam.ov.com/pub/xrn/beta.tgz>.  If you do
>this, I recommend that you subscribe to the xrn-users mailing list as
>described in the README file of the release.

        Thanks very much for the info!  Now that I've got my 19" monitor
on my Sun, I'd love to be able to use a X based newsreader on it.

Post by Matthew Cummin » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Am i the only one to use Netscape News ? :)

Yes, you sure are.  Knews is much nicer...
--

Post by bill mccart » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> Am i the only one to use Netscape News ? :)

>Yes, you sure are.  Knews is much nicer...
>--

I have to agree - knews is the bees knees. Beats netscape for
overhead and ease of use.

LI N U X <------

Post by Henk » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > Am i the only one to use Netscape News ? :)

> Yes, you sure are.  Knews is much nicer...

I also used to work with Knews. But a few weeks ago
i switched to GNUS. A news-reader under emacs/xemacs.
And i like it :-)

Henk

Post by Robert Wues » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Am i the only one to use Netscape News ? :)

No, you're not. I use it all the time.  But maybe I just don't know
any better :).  Wouldn't be the first time.  It seems to do what I need
(read news). Everyone seems to think knews is great so I'll probably
play with it, just to see.

Robert
--

Empowered by Linux.

Post by David M. Co » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Am i the only one to use Netscape News ? :)

Yuck! (Though it's nice for viewing **.) I use slrn, and I'd use
trn if it wasn't so pokey over a serial line.  I've used knews, but I
don't find that X-based newsreaders add any extra functionality.

Dave Cook

Post by Schic » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > > just lookin for a nice GUI newsreader.  Netscape news sux (at least 2.02 does).

> > > thanks for any advice!!

> >  KNEWS-0.9.7

> Am i the only one to use Netscape News ? :)

  No you are not. I use it in 3.0b4 and love it. It was easy to configure all
the little things in it once I experimented. It was a hell of a lot less hassle
to setup/configure then Knews. That was a terrible hassle.
  Everybody keeps putting Netscape down. Is there another news reader that
displys graphic images on the fly? I haven't seen one. Setting up Netscape is
quick. I didn't have to edit a bunch of header files to get it working either.
  Which version of Netscape do you currently use?
--

      --- Schick
                    Bill Gates   VS   Linus Torvalds

1. Anybody knows of a good newsreader?

I'm looking for a good Xnewsreader, kinda like pronews under os/2.
Don't tell me I have to use communicator 4.5 or krn or whatever else
which just does shit while you can't control what's happening. It
should be able to run multiple threads on a newsserver, to show them
and make it possible to delete and add them on the fly. If something
like this exists please let me know.

Turbo Alberta

2. UUCP

3. Can anyone recommend a good GUI newsreader?

4. Need help with installing scigraphica

5. Is there anybody knowing a good "pen" as substitute for the mouse?

6. Adding SCSI card to Linux system

7. help! anybody know of good scripting book?

8. Multi-threading with local variable

9. Does anybody know a good book about programming for Linux?

10. My E310 drive failed, anybody know a good repair depot?

11. Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with sendmail?

12. Anybody know of a good 802.3x Ethernet simulator?

13. anybody know good 2 channel sound card supported by alsa?