Running Xnest with different depth?

Post by John Bre » Tue, 17 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I would like to know if it is possible under XFree863.2 (SVGA server,
Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM) to be able to run Xnest at a different display
depth than the root display.  For ex., I would like to be able to
run the root display at 16 bpp (or better), and Xnest at 8 bpp.  This
would prove to be handy, since wabi only runs at 8 bpp.  From the
Xnest docs this looks to be possible if one has appropriately configure
the display.

Thanks in advance...

--

Associate Professor
Political Science

Post by Evgueni Damaski » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: I would like to know if it is possible under XFree863.2 (SVGA server,
: Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM) to be able to run Xnest at a different display
: depth than the root display.  For ex., I would like to be able to
: run the root display at 16 bpp (or better), and Xnest at 8 bpp.  This
: would prove to be handy, since wabi only runs at 8 bpp.  From the
: Xnest docs this looks to be possible if one has appropriately configure
: the display.
:
: Thanks in advance...
:
: --

: Associate Professor
: Political Science
: Duke University

Hello,

        We really need this in a FAQ, don't we? Existing PC(tm) hardware
does not allow an easy way of having multiple visuals with different
colour depths. SOmebody mentioned that Virge could do that but as far
as I know the X server does not support it yet.

--
Evgueni Damaskine

http://pluto.njcc.com/~dam

1. Dual displays running different color depths. Possible?

|> I have some old apps that check for 256 colors and bail if they see
|> more. There is a need to be able to run one monitor at 24bpp and the
|> other at 8bpp. Possible?

The following works for me.  Your mileage may vary.  No warranty is
expressed or implied.  RedHat 6.1 is assumed.  I use an ATI Xpert 98
board (Mach64 driver).

You will have to add a Display Subsection to the Screen
Section of XF86Config specifying an 8-bit mode, and then use the
DefaultColorDepth item to keep the default depth at 24 or 32.

Using just one physical monitor/keyboard, start a second X server that
displays on virtual display 8:
  Xwrapper :1 -bpp 8 -query MyOldRemoteHostName
This command will start the new X server, connect it to MyOldRemoteHost,
switch you to virtual display 8, and present the login prompt for
MyOldRemoteHost.  Toggle between the two displays with Ctrl-Alt-F7 and
Ctrl-Alt-F8.

If your local host name is MyBox, then this new server display will be
MyBox:1.0 while your original display is MyBox:0.0

Let me know if you find a better way...

Good luck,
Joe
== K. Joseph Hass                ==  Microelectronics Research Center    ==
== http://www.mrc.unm.edu/~jhass ==  801 University Blvd SE, Suite 206   ==
== (505) 272-7055                ==  Albuquerque, NM 87106-4340   USA    ==

2. Routing not working - redhat 9 on cluster

3. Can I run an app with different depth from the X Server's?

4. Correct module for my network card

5. different resolutions, different bit depths?

6. IP Forward

7. different WMs for different depths? HOW?

8. Q: ROSE-API

9. How do I get Xnest to start with a different colordepth?

10. Xnest and different colordepth than main window

11. diff -r return different results on different runs using DMA

12. How can run mplayer in Xnest?

13. How do I render fonts at different depths?