Newbie question - X Windows problem

Post by Lees Famil » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just installed RH 5.0 on my Win 95 PC.  Everything works fine from the
main prompt, but when I try to start X Windows it flashes briefly and then
goes blank - leaving it for any amount of time results in nothing and the
HDD activity light is also dead.  Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del occasionally lets me
reboot in "blank mode", but not always.  I have been forced to press the
Reset button, which is a Bad Thing, is it not?
I've tried running Xconfigurator, but to no avail.  My video chip is a
Cirrus Logic 5446 (1 Mb) and my monitor a generic 14" - refresh rates et al
specified under Windows and in the manual, so I know those are right.
Basically, I think this is a display problem - which other config programs
or files can I run/modify to rectify this problem?  Or is a new installation
on the cards?

Can anyone help a poor newbie?

J. A. Lees

Newbie question - X Windows problem

Post by burk » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Since no one's answered this I'll take a shot. It sounds like you have
the X server running but no Window Manager... to effectively use X, you
need a WM. Add this line to .xinitrc in your home directory. (You may
need to make an .xinitrc)
exec fvwm (or exec twm or exec fvwm2 or exec fvwm95 or exec
your_favorite_WM). Much of the look and feel of linux gui comes from
your choise of WM, so check out your options... a good page to start you
out is http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/

Lastly, you can kill your X-server with Alt+Ctrl+Backspace... a much
better way to kill X than the power button.
--

My Linux File Manager Page: http://www.pobox.com/~burk/LinuxFile.html

1. Newbie question: Problem on starting up X Window

I have installed my RH Linux 7.0. However, I am getting problem on starting
up my X Window. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Re-install my PC with RH 7.0
2. Switch to version XFree86 v 4.0.1 by using these commands (per Matrox
G450 driver installation manual):
   cd /etx/X11
   ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 ./X
3. Copy the mga_drv.o (beta 1.00.004) to the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
(per Matrox G450 installation manual)
4. Start X windows by typing startx

However, everytime the I start this, my screen seems to be "shaking" and I
can only see about 1/4 of my screen. I have to move my mouse so that I could
see the other parts of the screen. When I try to do CTRL+ALT plus +, I get
an error message that I am already out of sync.

Questions:
1. How would I know if I am already running under XFree86 v4.0.1?
2. Was the command I used in step # 2 above correct so that I could now
start using XFree86 v4.0.1?
3. Lastly, in the Matrox G450 update manual, they said that all I had to do
was copy the mga_drv.o file to a specific directory. However, they did not
mention what else I had to do after this. Do I have to run Xconfigurator
again? When I did this, RH was still seeing a MATROX G400 driver. How would
I tell Linux to use the new mga_drv.o driver?

BTW, my monitor is an HP p700, model# D8906A (17 inch).

Thanks,
Roose

2. resize problem

3. X windows question = newbie needs help

4. Linux clock accuracy (was: Re: skew Compensation?)

5. Newbie Linux/Windows networking questions

6. new kernel having trouble with 2 hdd's

7. Newbie question on X-windows in Mandrake 8.0

8. problem to add a network card

9. Newbie X Window Question

10. newbie question: SPARC simulator needed for linux/windows

11. NEWBIE question: Redhat Linux 7.1 to Windows 2000 ftp and general access

12. X WIndows newbie questions

13. GTK/C Newbie Destroying widgets in a window question