RH 5.1 Diamond Stealth II S220 Drivers required.

RH 5.1 Diamond Stealth II S220 Drivers required.

Post by Steve » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Ouch, just what you don't need video card failure 7pm on a  Sat.

I am looking for drivers/settings for RH 5.1 2.0.34, Xfree v?
possibly 3.3.2 as book says.

I had to rush out to the local computer superstore on Sun. I
purchased a new video card Diamond Stealth II S220 4MB Chipset
Verite 2000 (2100 RISC).

As often happens, my main selection was for Win95/NT Drivers
I thought having seen a few Verite drivers in xf86config
I would be ok.

Wrong, could not get even VGA/SVGA to work. The RH site
says the few verite drivers (in card database xf86config)
are not supported.

It looks like I need to phone the shop and swap it for
another card at double the cost.

TIA
Steve C

1. RedHat 5.1 + Diamond Stealth II S220 + XFCom_Rendition

Dear X community,

I'm having problems with a Diamond Stealth II S220

System:
        Diamond Stealth II S220 card w/4mb video ram (purchased June 1998)
        CTX CVP 5468NI 14" monitor (purchased Fall of 1991)
        Abit TX5 (Intel 430TX chipset) motherboard w/64mb ram
        AMD K6-300 (no 3D-Now)
        (SB 16 PnP ISA; Zoom 14.4 ISA)

OS's:
        Windows NT 4 Server w/ Service pack 3
        Windows 98
        RedHat Linux 5.1

Software:
         Windows NT 4 Server, what came on the CD with the card
        under Windows 98, file sii95110.exe from Diamond
        under RedHat 5.1 Linux, SuSE's XFCom_Rendition X server + fvwm

Problems:
        When I run startx X begins in 640x480; but the image is squashed into 2/3
of the screen. The electron gun paints the whole image starting about 1"
from the top of the tube, and ends about 1" from the bottom. (SuSE advised
trying xvidtune, which I did, but all it can do is make the painted pixels
get a bit closer to the top of the place where the gun is painting, that
is, to 1 inch below the top of the tube.) (I can also use the vertical
control to stretch the image to fit on the tube, but then I get a stretched
image.)
        I can switch to 800x640 and I get the same squashed screen; the colors are
really pale; the image is rotated to the right. (This rotation I can fix
with vidtune.)
        I can switch to 1024x768. Now the screen is *not* squashed, but it is
rotated around to the righ (so the right edge is off the screen) and the
colors are very pale. Again the rotation can be fixed either by using the
horizontal control on the monitor or by using xvidtune.
        I described this behavior to SuSE and they didn't know what was going on.
        The card/monitor combination works perfectly on Windows NT. I use 800x640
since 1024x768 is a little too small for my eyes.
        The card/monitor combination works fairly well on Windows 98 but it has
similar problems to what happens under Linux. My login screen is messed up:
the screen image is 2/3 its full height, and wrapped around the right side
of the screen. Once logged in, sometimes I get a full 800x600 SVGA screen
and sometimes I get the 2/3 screen. If I use the Diamond setting program, I
can set it to the full sized 800x600 screen, but even then, when I select
that, sometimes it stays in the 2/3 sized screen. The program will not
change the resolution to 1024x768, even though the monitor will suppport it
(I can change to this resolution under WinNT).

I've been using fvwm+X+Linux enough to know that if I could get the
monitor/card setup to work properly it would be a real joy.

If you could reply to

that would make my life easier; if you like I can repost any advice you
might have.

Thank you very much!

Anthony Dardis

2. cdrom on core installation of solaris 8

3. Diamond Stealth II S220 under RedHat 5.1

4. sb16 dma problem

5. FOUND: Diamond Stealth II S220 drivers

6. &&&&&Failure to Config & Mount CD-ROM CR-562-J produced by Panasonic

7. Diamond Stealth II S220 driver?

8. Please Mail example .netrc file

9. Diamond Stealth II S220 driver released by XIG

10. Diamond Stealth II S220 and XFree86

11. Diamond Stealth II S220 supported?

12. Subject : HELP! Diamond Stealth II S220

13. What chipset in a Diamond Stealth II S220. ?