ATI Mach64 vs. S3-964

Post by Jason Garm » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

>Since my current video card does not work well with Xfree86, I am thinking
>of buying one of the new 64 bit ones. I've narrowed it down to either the
>ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (mach64 based) or one of the S3-964 based cards
>(probably the Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM).

>Can anyone comment on the suitability of these cards in terms of speed and
>more importantly stability and buglessness of the server.

>I'm interested in running at 1152x864 16bpp, but have heard that the
>mach64 is limited to 80 MHz dot clock and the Ti3026 RAMDAC in the Stealth
>64 isn't supported at all - are either of these true and if so, are there
>any cards that do not have these problems?

That used to be a restriction in the old Mach64 accel server.  The newest one
(patchlevel 2) removes this, and i am running 1152x864x16bpp happily
on my computer now...

-- Jason Garman

ATI Mach64 vs. S3-964

Post by r.. » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

Personally... and it is JUST an opinion...
I will never buy another Diamond product as long as
I live. The support sucks, the attitude about releasing tech
info on their cards is paranoid and every ATI card I have
ever owned has always worked like a charm.
  Why would I reward Diamond for being a buch of jerks?
rn

1. ATI Mach64 vs. S3-964

: I've narrowed it down to either the
: ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (mach64 based) or one of the S3-964 based cards

I'm interested in that, too, but also think of buying a ATI WinTurbo or
a S3 Trio64 or a S3 868. What do you think I should prefer? Prices are
very close for the 2MB versions.

Thanks, dil

--
Dietrich Loebner, Angewandte und Sozialorientierte Informatik (ASI)
           Fachbereich Informatik - Universitaet Hamburg

2. X-window at start-up

3. S3-964...possible bug in S3 server

4. Is there an MS Outlook mail reader for UNIX

5. S3 964 Diamond Stealth 64, ATI Mach 64 and Gateway Vivitron 1776 - Help!!!

6. Canon BJ-200e driver?

7. S3-964 and wraparound problems

8. Can't find kermit after install

9. XF86Config for HGT64 S3-964

10. Is the S3-964 Chip supported?

11. SNOW! #9GXE64-Pro (S3-964)

12. Hercules Graphite Terminator (S3-964) Probs

13. Driver for Diamond Stealth 64 1MB DRAM (S3-964 Vision chip)