How to install X-window on Microsoft Windows?

How to install X-window on Microsoft Windows?

Post by Dino Hs » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:34:39

Dear all,

I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dino

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/

--
Michel Bardiaux

Post by Steve Weis » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:35:36

> Dear all,

> I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
> is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
> X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
> case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

> Thanks in advance.

> Regards,
> Dino

This may do what you're looking for:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html

-Steve

--
"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than if
you just drank gin straight from the bottle."  - Garrison Keillor

How to install X-window on Microsoft Windows?

Post by Laurent Cortie » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:23:24

Quote:> I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
> is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
> X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
> case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

You can use commercial products to do that, the easiest, cleanest (to my
eyes) is X-Win32 and can be found at : http://www.starnet.com/products/

Hope it helps,

     Laurent Cortier
Consultant in a free world
http://www.dsimprove.be

Post by ken.. » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:41:35

Quote:> I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
> is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
> X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
> case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

My web site lists a couple of dozen X servers for MS-Win.
Prices and features vary quite a bit.  Many have shareware or demoware
versions.
--
Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

Post by Janos Er » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 19:33:36

>> I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
>> is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
>> X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
>> case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

>My web site lists a couple of dozen X servers for MS-Win.
>Prices and features vary quite a bit.  Many have shareware or demoware
>versions.

I don't know the others, but I tried to use Xceed 6.2, that is supposed to be a
serious package. It worked well for simple cases. When, however, a complex
client-window (Cadence Leapfrog simulation) was opened, it slowed down badly.
When I tried to enter in a design hierarchy, the waiting times for new design
levels became over several minutes. This was the point when I installed Linux.
No problems since.

Janos

Post by RL Griswol » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:29:21

> I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
> is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
> X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
> case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

You can try VNC from AT&T labs - http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/.
I've been working with it a lot recently, and it seems to work well.
Best of all, it's free (as in speech and beer :).

--

#include <stddisclaimer.h>

"One man's music is another man's noise" -
 Mercedes Lackey, "The Robin & The Kestrel"

Post by Mark H. Woo » Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:59:43

>> I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
>> is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
>> X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
>> case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

> You can try VNC from AT&T labs - http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/.
> I've been working with it a lot recently, and it seems to work well.
> Best of all, it's free (as in speech and beer :).

VNC is great.  I use it a lot.  However, this doesn't address the
question.

There is a project to port XFree86 to MS Windows, called
Cygwin/XFree86.  Check it out at http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/ .  I
have not tried it.

There's also a Java implementation of an X server called WeirdX.  Who
knows? it might run on MS Windows.  http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx .  I
haven't tried this one either.

--

Make a good day.

How to install X-window on Microsoft Windows?

Post by Robert C. Ciprian » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 03:55:31

I've used X-Win PRO 32 with success, but it is a commercial product.  I
think KDE is faster via the server on my wife's pc than on my linux box
(faster/better video hardware??).  Not sure of manufacturer.

> >> I have 2 PC's in my home, one is Microsoft Windows 98, and the other
> >> is Linux Red Hat 6.2. According to the client-server theory of
> >> X-window system, the X-server can be located on other machine. In this
> >> case, how to install X-window (XFree86?) on Microsoft Windows?

> >My web site lists a couple of dozen X servers for MS-Win.
> >Prices and features vary quite a bit.  Many have shareware or demoware
> >versions.

> I don't know the others, but I tried to use Xceed 6.2, that is supposed to
be a
> serious package. It worked well for simple cases. When, however, a complex
> client-window (Cadence Leapfrog simulation) was opened, it slowed down
badly.
> When I tried to enter in a design hierarchy, the waiting times for new
design
> levels became over several minutes. This was the point when I installed
Linux.
> No problems since.

> Janos

1. X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have a Sun
Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was wondering if anyone
knows of any X-windows software which would allow me to read the
answerbooks via a telnet session from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.

May care go with you and Peace,
Emile G.

2. Help! How do you get Ethernet Address?

3. X-window slower then MS-Windows

4. How to disable library iostream in a program

5. X-Window security: How to disallow window manipulation (closing, resizing, moving)

6. sunos a.out.h and stab.h

7. Gurus: why x-window is slower than MS windows?

8. Screenblank for Solaris 2.2

9. X-Window client for MS Windows

10. X-Window theme for MS-Windows

11. X-Window client for MS Windows

12. Free X-Window Server for Windows 3.x, 95

13. X-Window, Motif, Window Manager