Lockups in X when switching virtual consoles (mouse?)

Lockups in X when switching virtual consoles (mouse?)

Post by Mark Fassle » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

 - I start X (w/ KDE)
 - I load up a few GFX-intensive apps (3 instances of Navigator, and iDraw
with a complex diagram).
 - I switch to VC 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1)
 - I switch to VC 7 (Ctrl-Alt-F7)

The screen goes black and the console is *totally* locked.  I can telnet in
just fine, the rest of the system continues to work.  The only thing that
does work on the console is ctrl-alt-del, which tries to do a nice, orderly
shutdown - the catch is that gpm is locked.  ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm stop"
doesn't work, I have to kill it from a telnet session.)

If I take gpm out of my rcX.d directories (so that it doesn't start up)
then switching virtual consoles works fine, except that the mouse and
keyboard will lock up for about 5 seconds or so after switching, after
that, everything's okay.

If I don't have much running (just a few xterms) then I can usually switch
okay.

I have a Logitech 3-button PS/2 mouse (no fancy codewheel or anything),
PS/2 keyboard, Number Nine Imagine 128 series 2 video card,
XFree86-3.3.2.3-25, Linux 2.0.34, on a Dell Dimension XPS.

In XF86Config (minus the comments):

---
Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol    "Standard"
    AutoRepeat  500 5
    LeftAlt        Meta
    RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control

   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc101"
    XkbLayout       "us"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "ps/2"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
EndSection
---

Any ideas?

--
Mark Fassler
fassler at holly dot colostate dot edu

1. LOCKUP switching virtual consoles, help?

Here is the problem:  X works fine.  However, in text (terminal) mode
I get frequent hard lockups (no ctrl-alt-del or numlock, even my
turbo switch no longer works!).

I can cause this to happen pretty much at will by holding down Alt
and hitting F1-F2-F1-F2-F1... in rapid succession.  (Switch virtual
consoles back and forth rapidly).

Here is some info on my system:
 - 458DX 50Mhz  (There is a reason there aren't a lot out there)
 - ATI Mach32 ISA (Graphics Ultra Pro) (but serial mouse)
 - Slackware 1.1.4 with SBCD kernel  (SB16 and CD)
 - 8 megs ram, 20 Meg swap partition, plenty of free disk space

Here are some more hints...  I used to have an ET4000 based video
card and I experianced the same hard lock problems under MS
Windows 3.1 (although less frequently) until I got an updated
video driver.

Linux seemed to work better with the ET4000 card.  I didn't get
the lockups in the virtual consoles, but I did get an ocassional
lockup under X.

I switched to the ATI video card, and here we are.  Dos/Windows/OS2
work fine with the ATI but who cares about them.

I will probably get an upgraded version of slackware soon and hope
for the best, but I need to order the CDs.

I will start trying various Motherboard/ATI/Bios settings while
I hope for your help...

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Shawn

2. NIS and Laptop connectivity

3. Switching to another virtual console

4. 1024 / EIDE drive

5. Switching between virtual consoles and X

6. Tcsh Prompt

7. Virtual Console Switch from shell

8. Reading Email Via Web Browser?

9. X crashes when I switch virtual consoles

10. X windows cannot switch to any one virtual console

11. Virtual Console Switch Problems

12. XFree-86 and switching virtual consoles...

13. Switching Virtual Consoles