help w/ /dev/mouse (/dev/psaux) in X and "cannot find gpm"

help w/ /dev/mouse (/dev/psaux) in X and "cannot find gpm"

Post by rando » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

When I run startx, I get:
"Trans(SockUNIXConnect) () can't connect:  errno = 111
giving up
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No suck process (errno 3):  Server error."

and it drops me back to the shell.

Also (and I am pretty sure this has something to do with it) When I DO
get x working by manually changing the XF86Config file to use some other
type, it works one or two times (with no mouse functionality) and then
goes right back to the same error.  The mouse is a Kensington TrackBall
but I have had no problem in the past getting it to work with X.

Also, as a side note, I went to /usr/X11/bin and ran XF86_S3 and got the
error:
"Fatal server error:
Cannot open mouse (no such device)"

can we say ArgH?!

Please help me. please, please, please, please...

Thanks in advance (why do people always say that...)

Michael Bosley

help w/ /dev/mouse (/dev/psaux) in X and "cannot find gpm"

Post by rando » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

hmm... it would probably help if it was compiled into the kernel, eh?

thx all

random