adding applications in the fwvm pop up?

Post by Brian Gilma » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello!
        I know this may be a stupid question but, how do you add an
application to the pop up window in fvwm95? Or any other pop up(I mean
when you right click on the screen of course).....Thanks in
advance.....I couldn't find any decent docs for doing this////I actually
started thinking it was impossible or extremely difficult...Is this
true?

                                    Thanks!

Sincerely,

Brian Gilman

Post by Chris Sorenso » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hello!
>         I know this may be a stupid question but, how do you add an
> application to the pop up window in fvwm95? Or any other pop up(I mean
> when you right click on the screen of course).....Thanks in
> advance.....I couldn't find any decent docs for doing this////I actually
> started thinking it was impossible or extremely difficult...Is this
> true?

>                                     Thanks!

> Sincerely,

> Brian Gilman

No, it's really easy. Not as easy as in qvwm, which I think is a much
better Win9X-like WM, but if you wanna use FVWM95, that's certainly your
privilege... :)

You need to edit the fvwm95 file that configures the look of the fvwm95
window manager on startup. The system-wide version of this file is
system.fvwm95rc, on my Slackware 3.5 box it's in /var/X11R6/lib/fvwm95/

Individual users can create an .fvwm95rc file in their home directories. If
they don't have one fvwm95 will default to the system-wide file. So, open
up this file in your favorite text editor (it is a plain text file that
fvwm95 reads on startup). If you scan through it, you can easily figure out
how to add applications to the popups and associate pixmaps with those
applications. Note there's a couple of paths near the top of the file that
fvwm95 will look in for any pixmaps or modules you want to specify. In my
system.fvwm95 file these paths are:

ModulePath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm95/
PixmapPath
/usr/include/X11/pixmaps/:/usr/X11R6/icons/:/usr/X11R6/mini-icons
IconPath   /usr/include/X11/bitmaps/:/usr/local/icons/

So! For a really specific example, let's say you want to add the TKDesk
filemanager to your main startbutton popup. You look for the part of the
file that configures this popup; it's under the text header that says:

#========================================================================#

#
# Now define the menus - defer bindings until later
#

# This is for the Start menu of the FvwmTaskBar

Okay! You've found this part of the file...

Now you would add the line:

+ "TKDesk     %mini-desktop.xpm%"     Exec tkdesk &

somewhere in the text below the above mentioned header. This assumes that
the tkdesk binary is in one of the directories in the path, such as
/usr/local/bin

Note that if you don't have the mini-desktop.xpm icon in one of the icon
directories mentioned above, the text "%mini-desktop.xpm%" will appear in
the popup! And when you pull your mouse up to this area on the popup and
let go, the application won't launch. There are lots of places on the web
where you can get the Win9X lookalike icons. Try www.xplorer.org, where you
can also download an fvwm95rc file that already has lots of this type of
customization in it. It won't work correctly on your system until you put
all the icons in the icon dirs, etc...

Adding applications to the secondary (module) popups is just the same.
Experiment with it for a bit and you'll find you can customize things
completely. Remember that after you edit the file and save it, you need to
restart fvwm95 for the changes to be reflected in the WM...

Quote:> Try www.xplorer.org, where you can also download an fvwm95rc file that
> already has lots of this type of
> customization in it. It won't work correctly on your system until you put
> all the icons in the icon dirs, etc...

Oops! The correct URL for that site is

http://www.x-plorer.org

.....heh..... Sorry!

Post by Sasch » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hello!
>         I know this may be a stupid question but, how do you add an
> application to the pop up window in fvwm95? Or any other pop up(I mean
> when you right click on the screen of course).....Thanks in
> advance.....I couldn't find any decent docs for doing this////I actually
> started thinking it was impossible or extremely difficult...Is this
> true?

>                                     Thanks!

> Sincerely,

> Brian Gilman

  Hi Brian,

no, its not that difficult. become root and have a look in
/etc/X11/fvwm95/
there are some files configuring fvwm95. Have a look for menu-entries. By
reading the files you should work out how everything is set up. If you have
problems handling that, try wmconfig. This one comes with redhat as an rpm,
with SuSE it should work to,  because they use rpm to, with slackware you
can use the rpmtotgz-package.

Hope that helped

Sascha

1. KDE 2.0 Application Description Pop-ups

I'm sure when I used to run the last version of KDE that when I hovered my
mouse over an application in the K-Menu I used to get a short description
displayed.  This seems to have disappeared in KDE 2.0.  Where has it gone ?
and can KDE 2.0 be told to display it ?

2. DVD-RW on FreeBSD

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. using an aliases file for remote addresses

5. Ins key in ncurses applications?

6. HELP with Smail & UUCP

7. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

8. Snow lines on left of screen under X11..

9. Communicator dies on add-ins

10. Wingz add-ins - how to write

11. Advertising pop-ups on web pages

12. Geocities-like pop-ups