I don't have "Shape"

Post by sthl » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I recently installed XFree86 4.0-0.12.
I got the RPMS from rawhide via rpmfind.net

According to Nvidia FAQ the xinitrc rpm should be removed so I did that.

Installed ncurses 5 aswell.
Removed all of my 3.3.6 rpms and installed the ones I downloaded from
rawhide.

After figuring out XF86Config I got it up and running, but.

Enlightement will not start and states that the X-server does not
support Shape.
So where is Shape?

Now I know this is not a bug it's the dude behind the keyboard that has
missed something, but what?

These are the RPMS I installed, anyone got the name of the missing one?

XFree86-75dpi-fonts
XFree86-100dpi-fonts
XFree86-ISO8859-2*
XFree86-4.0-0.12
XFree86-V4L
XFree86-W32
XFree86-Xnest
XFree86-Xvfb
XFree86-devel
XFree86-doc
XFree86-libs
XFree86-tools
XFree86-twm
XFree86-xdm
XFree86-xf86cfg  (requires X and Shape too work???)
XFree86-xfs
Xconfigurator-4.3
NVIDIA-kernel
NVIDIA-GLX

Thanks in advance /Stefan

I don't have "Shape"

Post by sthl » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

Lot of help I got :-(

Anyway the asnwer is to run
# XFree86 -configure
Which makes a "reasonably" correct XF86Config and among other things loads
the Shape module.

/Case closed

> Hi,

> I recently installed XFree86 4.0-0.12.
> I got the RPMS from rawhide via rpmfind.net

> According to Nvidia FAQ the xinitrc rpm should be removed so I did that.

> Installed ncurses 5 aswell.
> Removed all of my 3.3.6 rpms and installed the ones I downloaded from
> rawhide.

> After figuring out XF86Config I got it up and running, but.

> Enlightement will not start and states that the X-server does not
> support Shape.
> So where is Shape?

> Now I know this is not a bug it's the dude behind the keyboard that has
> missed something, but what?

> These are the RPMS I installed, anyone got the name of the missing one?

> XFree86-75dpi-fonts
> XFree86-100dpi-fonts
> XFree86-ISO8859-2*
> XFree86-4.0-0.12
> XFree86-V4L
> XFree86-W32
> XFree86-Xnest
> XFree86-Xvfb
> XFree86-devel
> XFree86-doc
> XFree86-libs
> XFree86-tools
> XFree86-twm
> XFree86-xdm
> XFree86-xf86cfg  (requires X and Shape too work???)
> XFree86-xfs
> Xconfigurator-4.3
> NVIDIA-kernel
> NVIDIA-GLX

> Thanks in advance /Stefan

My machine: P166+mmx, 32mb ram, 4gb HD with Win95 and Win NT 4.0 and
redhat5.1 co-existed in different partitions.

I issued "sndconfig" within a xterm inside X Window, The program
detects the SB 16 pnp card sets it up with no error message, but when
it launch ModProbe to test out, it gets a message states: An error was
encountered running the ModProbe program."  I tried different IRQ
settings, all ends with the same message.

2nd, When I try to mount /dev/cdrom from File Systerm Manager, the
following error is returned:  Can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/mtab or
/etc/fstab.

3nd, When my machine boots, it halts at "Sendmail" for about 3-5 mins
before it goes to next step.  Obviously there isn't any mail system on
the machine right now because it is a standalone.  How can take this
mail thing out and speed up booting?

last one, Is my Zoom 56k PCI FaxModem a Windmodem that Linux can't use
to connect me to my local isp?

Experts help me out please. thanks.

2. First reboot fails (after sucessful install)

3. LGX means never having to say, "I don't know"

4. Does anyone out there know how to set up a UNIX server in or near Thousand Oaks, CA?

6. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Frequent posting]

7. Xlib: extention "SHAPE" missing on display ":0.0"

8. Ultra 2 for webserver?

9. Shaping? What is this..."shaping"?

10. Having "real" and "private" IPs work together on one hub

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?