ati radeon 8500 dvi digital?

Post by mike » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 05:34:05

i posted this yesterday to linux.redhat.install, but thought this
might be a better place to ask.

greetings friends,

i am trying to find out if it is possible to enable the radeon 8500 to
send a digital signal through its DVI out in linux/xfree86.

my display setup is:
ATI RADEON 8500 64M retail
SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 170T (17" LCD)

the samsung 170T can display in analog mode but the display is hard to
adjust and also carries visible flicker.(the digital signal gives a
very clean image onscreen without any adjustment needed).

under windows98 and windows XP the ATI driver sends a digital as well
as analog signal through the DVI connector, so i know everything
works, hardware-wise anyway.

i have downloaded and installed ATI's X driver rpm and ran the config
script that came with it but it didn't accomplish what i wanted.  the
driver rpm also installed a small applet that allows you to pass
arguments to the card, but i don't know what that argument might be.

my system:

redhat 8.0 + patches
amd athlon xp 1800
soyo dragon+ (onboard c-media sound and via 10/100nic)
ati radeon 8500 64mb retail
ide hdd grubbing win98 / rh8.0

i heartily extend my thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

mike

1. Ati Radeon VE + DVI-I + TFT Panel + digital signal

I have used Ati Radeon VE in RedHat 7.7 + 2.4.7 ... 2.4.10 kernel.
I can get any desired resolution and refresh rate  from VGA connector and
also from analog port of the dvi port. I upgrades Xfree to 4.1.0.

Problem:
I try to use a TFT panel with DVI-i input. From Radeon I can't get any
DIGITAL signal from the DVI-I port.

Has someone succeeded?

TFT panel is LG Flatron 885LE 1280x1024. (In windows the digital port gives
very nice picture). I also tried Redhat7.2, but same effect ;(

:) Thanks in advance,
Kari N.

2. Need to make a big file really small using FreeBSD and maybe gzip

3. redhat 9, ATI Radeon 7500, DVI digital display -- output flaky

4. ndiswrapper module for wireless cards on Suse 9.1

5. NEW: ATI FireGL 8800 Linux Driver works for Radeon 8500 (includes DRI support)

6. help the newbie

7. ATI Radeon 8500 w/ Redhat Linux....HELP!

8. Linux training in Austin, Texas

9. ATI Radeon 8500

10. ATI technologies Radeon 8500 graphics card

11. ATI Radeon 7500/8500 drivers question

12. Cannot boot Red Hat 8.0 w/ ATI Radeon 8500, fails to initialise video

13. ATI 8500 Radeon All-in -Wonder?