Trans-Ameritech: unfair business practices

Trans-Ameritech: unfair business practices

Post by Elaine Walt » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Be warned if you work with Trans-Ameritech!  I had a subscription with them
and had two more issues remaining in the subscription.  Recently, they sent
me one CD then a week later their supplemental CD (which has almost the same
stuff as the first)--then declared that my subscription had ended.  I called
them, and their operator told me that they are no longer taking subscriptions.
Essentially, I paid a subscription price for one year (4CDs) and got 3CDs and
their supplimental CD (a near-duplicate of their third CD).
This is "bate-and-switch", unfair business practices and contract breaking.
I warn all those considering working with Trans-Ameritech that they are in
jeopardy of being treated the same way.  I have not pursued legal directions,
because 1) I don't have the money, 2) I don't think it will help, and 3) I'm
in another state (they are out of reach).  Therefore, I'm warning you so that
you don't get burned as well.
Good Luck.
-Sean Walton

Trans-Ameritech: unfair business practices

Post by ACC Cor » Mon, 19 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>them, and their operator told me that they are no longer taking subscriptions.
>Essentially, I paid a subscription price for one year (4CDs) and got 3CDs and
>their supplimental CD (a near-duplicate of their third CD).
>This is "bate-and-switch", unfair business practices and contract breaking.
>I warn all those considering working with Trans-Ameritech that they are in
>jeopardy of being treated the same way.  I have not pursued legal directions,
>-Sean Walton

As a competitor of Trans-Ameritech you might think that this kind of posting
would please us.  It does not.

Customers who have a complaint about a supplier should at least make some
sort of  genuine effort to communicate their concern to that supplier's
management -before- setting out to publically damage the supplier's reputation.

You have not given us any idea of how much money your complaint is about,
(probably less than $25 I'd estimate)  Have you attempted to reach anyone at
Trans-Ameritech other than the "operator" you quote?

None of us are perfect.  Linux CD suppliers are doing the Linux community a
great service.  Trying to put one of the better ones out of business for a
lousy $25 complaint, without giving them an opportunity to respond to your
concern, seems a little unfair.

Bob Young.

ACC Corp., Inc.  "Home of the PC UNIX - Linux Catalog"
Red Hat Software, Inc. makers of "The Red Hat Commercial Linux Distribution"
(800) 454-5502 or (203) 454-5500  fax: (203) 454-2582

Trans-Ameritech: unfair business practices

Post by Elaine Walt » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I tried to work with these people.  Yes, it's only for $25.  I'm sorry
that I ruffled your feathers.  I do not know anything about RedHat CDROMs
and I am certain that your product is solid.  In fact, everyone that asks
me which CD I feel they should get I tell them that Walnut Creek has
treated me very well and has a good price/deliverables.

However, you say that we are not all perfect.  This is true.  Yet, consider
the following: the subscription process had to have changed somehow in order
to interrupt a quarterly release.  No computer which has historically
executed a transactional task correctly would sudden "hiccup"
like this.  Therefore, there had to be a conscious decision made by
management.  The fact that I lost $25 is not at issue--the issue is that
I did not get what I paid for.

Was I asked whether a (near-) duplicate CDROM would suffice for the last
issue?  No.  This decision was unilateral.  I question any decision by
any manager that does not consider the customers' needs and wants along
with the needs of the company.

Lastly, if this decision was unilateral (which I am told by their operator),
how many others, besides myself, have been treated this way?  Now, if all
this is true, are we still talking about a mere $25?  Probably not.

[Soapbox Time]  I am tired of being a victim by unconscious managers who
decide with thinking, think without researching.  I am tired of being
silent when companies feel that they can step all over their customer
base and not "feel" any remorse and not fear any reciprocation.  I do not
believe in suing people--and many, many times has this belief has been
tested.  I DO believe that we should flag those who make decisions without
considering their contracts or clients..

-Sean Walton

---Std.Disclaimer();--

Post by Phil Hugh » Mon, 26 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I tried to work with these people.  Yes, it's only for $25.  I'm sorry

: [Soapbox Time]  I am tired of being a victim by unconscious managers who
: decide with thinking, think without researching.  I am tired of being
: silent when companies feel that they can step all over their customer
: base and not "feel" any remorse and not fear any reciprocation.  I do not
: believe in suing people--and many, many times has this belief has been
: tested.  I DO believe that we should flag those who make decisions without
: considering their contracts or clients..

As publisher of Linux Journal I hear more than my share of bad comments
about vendors.  Knowing the internals of many of the companies I can say
there are an assortment of reasons for not supporting customers but the
most common one is that vendors underestimate the cost of support (whether
that is technical support or sending future products or whatever).  Thsi
causes them to cut corners.  (We get to deal with this with advertisers
where they run an ad and think they will have enough money to pay for it
when the bill comes due.)

I agree that it is better to air the complaints than to run to the nearest
lawyer.  There is one vendor who (I hope) has finally gone away after
repeated promises of delivery.  Communications about what he had done to
others happened over the Internet and I think that was his downfall.
In addition to posting to the net, I ask that you send us a message at

the Editor).  We want to know what is going on out there and have spoken
to vendors in the past about such complaints.  One vendor (who was and
still is an advertiser) cleaned up their act after we spoke to them.

Those of us who are involved in Linux for the long run know that in order
to sway people to Linux we have to look *better* than the alternatives.
Microsoft is likely to always have a bigger wallet than everyone involved
in Linux combined.  Running better and supporting our customers are the
things we have going for us.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)PUBS-REF

Quote:>>> Publishers of pocket references for UNIX, C, ..., Linux Journal <<<

1. Trans-Ameritech: unfair business practices

[...]

2. moving files based on date

3. S3964 X server + WHAT IS A RAMDAC?

4. Wanted: Opinions on Unix/NT

5. obsd install problem

6. Trans-Ameritech System LinuxWare

7. COMMERCIAL: Trans-Ameritech ANNOUNCE competitive upgrade!

8. WANTED: Trans-Ameritech Linuxware Install CD-ROMs

9. New release of Trans-Ameritech Linux Plus CD-ROM