MPlayer runs slow on full screen

Post by Deya » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 18:46:53

hi,

i've compiled and installed mplayer( mplayer.sourceforge.net).
i am running redhat 7.1, which was with gcc 2.96, so i upgraded it to
3.0
the configure and make processes went without any problems,
and the mplayer starts.

in a window it runs ok, but on a full screen it goes too slow.
and mplayer tells me something like "your system is too slow to play
this. use framedrop"

i have P III 500 MHz, 256 ram, ati rage 8 mb.

mtrr are ok.

so why the hell the divx movies are running so slow ?
i've been able to watch the same movies under windows on the same
machine, they were ok.

so - does linux sux, or i've done something wrong? :))

in general - can somebody tell me what is the slowest machine, able to
play divx under linux ?( i've tryied with divx4linux and the win32
dlls)

10x in advance !

Post by Ian Stirlin » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 01:19:08

> hi,

> i've compiled and installed mplayer( mplayer.sourceforge.net).
> i am running redhat 7.1, which was with gcc 2.96, so i upgraded it to
> 3.0
> the configure and make processes went without any problems,
> and the mplayer starts.

> in a window it runs ok, but on a full screen it goes too slow.
> and mplayer tells me something like "your system is too slow to play
> this. use framedrop"

Alternatively, take the third way.
Setup a mode that matches the resolution of the video clip, and
then simply use this.
Full screen, but less processor needed.

Tad Williams has an interesting new fantasy: http://www.shadowmarch.com/