everything is huge in X, can't set resolution higher--Banshee based video card

everything is huge in X, can't set resolution higher--Banshee based video card

Post by Steve Whitche » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

If anyone can suggest anything which might help solve my plight, I'd greatly
appreciate it.  I'm new to linux (RH 5.2) and when I load X the screen real
estate becomes minimal...e verything is huge, the start button is more than
an inch high.  I'd like to set the resolution higher, but can't figure out
how.  xvidtune was suggested by RH support, but it has no effect.  In xconf
I've set it from the lowest res VGA to the highest my monitor/vid card
supports in SVGA, and always get the same screen size.  If I choose in xconf
that I do want virtual desktop sizes to be available, X won't load, I get an
out of memory error.  I have a 16MB Banshee based video card (Guillemot
Maxigamer Phoenix) and 160MB ram.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Steve Whitcher

Post by Chris Leit » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> If anyone can suggest anything which might help solve my plight, I'd greatly
> appreciate it.  I'm new to linux (RH 5.2) and when I load X the screen real
> estate becomes minimal...e verything is huge, the start button is more than
> an inch high.  I'd like to set the resolution higher, but can't figure out
> how.  xvidtune was suggested by RH support, but it has no effect.  In xconf
> I've set it from the lowest res VGA to the highest my monitor/vid card
> supports in SVGA, and always get the same screen size.  If I choose in xconf
> that I do want virtual desktop sizes to be available, X won't load, I get an
> out of memory error.  I have a 16MB Banshee based video card (Guillemot
> Maxigamer Phoenix) and 160MB ram.

> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Steve Whitcher

I will assume you are using an XFree86 server, most likely XF86_SVGA.  Have you
looked into the file /etc/XF86Config or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config?  When
you start your X server, (possibly by typing the command 'startx'), it looks
for its configuration file, first in /etc/ and then in /usr/X11R6/lib/ and
possibly other places as well.  You are going to have to setup this file for
your hardware.  There is a program called 'xf86config' that will get you
started, but even after using it, you may wish to modify the file further.  In
particular, make sure the lines describing your monitor's allowed horizontal
sync rates and vertical refresh rates are correct, or you could possibly damage
your monitor.  Also, check out the 'Screen Section'.  Here you will find a
place to configure the video modes.  Make sure you are changing the part
pertaining to your server.  Again, it is most likely the SVGA server, but there
are other sub-sections for the other servers so be careful.  It is the 'Modes'
line you want to edit to your liking.  Mine for example says:

Modes    "1024x768" "640x480"

This means that I start up in 1024x768, but I can also switch to 640x480 by
pressing CTRL-ALT and either the + or - keys.  (CTRL-ALT-+ cycles forward
through the available modes, and CTRL-ALT-- cycles backward through them.)  You
should be able to leave the 'Virtual' line as:

Virtual     0     0

Hope this helps.

Chris

everything is huge in X, can't set resolution higher--Banshee based video card

Post by Glen Austi » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I had this problem and upgraded to XF 3.3.3 because my chipset wasn't supported and
it was defaulting to the minimum VGA.  There is an error in the installation (or
was) where XF 3.3.3 xsvga.tgz file is misnamed.  It should be Xsvga.tgz.  The
extract/X* command in the installation procedure is expecting all the tgz files to
be X not x.  Finally, when I renamed the file and retried the install for my SiS
5598 chip set last week, it worked.

Make sure your chip set is supported in XF 3.3.3, then download it, make the file
name change and install.

I suspect everyone using XF 3.3.3 SVGA driver is having this problem.

Glen Austin

> > If anyone can suggest anything which might help solve my plight, I'd greatly
> > appreciate it.  I'm new to linux (RH 5.2) and when I load X the screen real
> > estate becomes minimal...e verything is huge, the start button is more than
> > an inch high.  I'd like to set the resolution higher, but can't figure out
> > how.  xvidtune was suggested by RH support, but it has no effect.  In xconf
> > I've set it from the lowest res VGA to the highest my monitor/vid card
> > supports in SVGA, and always get the same screen size.  If I choose in xconf
> > that I do want virtual desktop sizes to be available, X won't load, I get an
> > out of memory error.  I have a 16MB Banshee based video card (Guillemot
> > Maxigamer Phoenix) and 160MB ram.

> > Thanks in advance for your help,
> > Steve Whitcher

> I will assume you are using an XFree86 server, most likely XF86_SVGA.  Have you
> looked into the file /etc/XF86Config or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config?  When
> you start your X server, (possibly by typing the command 'startx'), it looks
> for its configuration file, first in /etc/ and then in /usr/X11R6/lib/ and
> possibly other places as well.  You are going to have to setup this file for
> your hardware.  There is a program called 'xf86config' that will get you
> started, but even after using it, you may wish to modify the file further.  In
> particular, make sure the lines describing your monitor's allowed horizontal
> sync rates and vertical refresh rates are correct, or you could possibly damage
> your monitor.  Also, check out the 'Screen Section'.  Here you will find a
> place to configure the video modes.  Make sure you are changing the part
> pertaining to your server.  Again, it is most likely the SVGA server, but there
> are other sub-sections for the other servers so be careful.  It is the 'Modes'
> line you want to edit to your liking.  Mine for example says:

> Modes    "1024x768" "640x480"

> This means that I start up in 1024x768, but I can also switch to 640x480 by
> pressing CTRL-ALT and either the + or - keys.  (CTRL-ALT-+ cycles forward
> through the available modes, and CTRL-ALT-- cycles backward through them.)  You
> should be able to leave the 'Virtual' line as:

> Virtual     0     0

> Hope this helps.

> Chris

1. Can't change video resolutions for 3D Blaster Banshee Video Card

Does anyone know how I can change the resolution of my 3D Blaster
Banshee Video Card in Linux? I've been struggling with this problem for
a while now. The resolution by default was set very high after I
downloaded the 3D Blaster Banshee Linux Driver from Creative
(XF_Banshee_1.01.tar.gz.
    I already tried to run Xconfigurator but my video card was not in
the list so I chose the Unlisted Option. However, I could find the
chipset that I have in the next list which is the Banshee Chipset. Now
that I was unable to find the proper hardware that I had in
Xconfigurator I'm unable to proceed to change resolutions.
    I called Linux support but they weren't much help and I just found
out that Creative does not support this driver. If anyone here has had
the same problem and has resolved it, please contact me. I really want
to know how I can solve this.

Thanks for Reading

2. 3COM SuperStack II 3300

3. how am i installing my i740 chip set(agp) video card?

4. Background mounts occuring in the wrong order.

5. 3Com Video Phone =BT848 based Camera/Card Set?

6. Should software be free?

7. Setting up a higher screen resolution

8. Encapsulating root Sol2.6 Evm2.5

9. How to set higher resolution text modes?

10. Higher resolution with S3 card

11. Setting the console Video Mode higher than ModeX

12. I can't get higher resolutions in XFree86

13. Can't get higher resolution than 640x480 (RH6.1, X)