Any on-line books that teach you some basic Linux commands?

Any on-line books that teach you some basic Linux commands?

Post by Desmond Le » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks,

Is there any on-line books that teach you Linux's basic commands? I'm using
RedHat ver 5.0 now.

Thanks.

Post by Paul C. Frederic » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Hi folks,

> Is there any on-line books that teach you Linux's basic commands?

Try here:http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/linux/ldp/

Quote:> I'm using
> RedHat ver 5.0 now.

How is it? Currently I'm using Slackware (my personal favorite) and Caldera
OpenLinux Base.Which is somewhat like RedHat.

Quote:

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

Warning! all bulk email is forwarded to the appropriate abuse department.
It's a hobby of mine.

Any on-line books that teach you some basic Linux commands?

Post by lacarte » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi folks,

> Is there any on-line books that teach you Linux's basic commands? I'm using
> RedHat ver 5.0 now.

There's a Norton Commander clone called MC.  Hopefully you installed it
during your installation.  Anyways, at the prompt type mc.  You can use mc
to do a lot of things like edit, copy, delete, move files, view text
and compressed files (like man pages) and also ftp to different ftp sites.
You can also use it to move around the file system.  The directories you
would be most interested in are /usr/doc and usr/man.

The /usr/doc directories contain a lot of documentation about the programs
installed on your system, i.e. how to set up things, faqs and other stuff.

The /usr/man directories contain compressed manual pages about commands,
and programs on your system.  You can view these pages with mc.

You can also call up man pages from the linux prompt.  But you need to
know the man page you want to view.  For example, if you wanted to know
how to use the ls command you would type:

                                man ls

The manual page describing the ls command and all it's options would
displayed.  Sort of like dos' help.

Using mc is easier for a newbie until they learn their way around the
system.

If you haven't installed mc here's a few basic comamnds you might want to
call up with man just to get you started.  BTW, if you don't have mc you
can get it from sunsite.unc.edu.

cd (change directory)
ls (like dos' directory command)
rm (removes files)
mkdir (make a directory)
mv (rename a file)
cp (copy a file)

Toodles!
lonac

# Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, #
# but in lowiness of mind let each esteem others better    #
# than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his #
# own interests, but also for the interests of others.     #
#                                                          #
# Philippians 2:3-4                                        #
Sphynx-Net BBS - An online Christian Experience - Since 11/94
Telephone: (202) 547-0917
Telnet: sphynx-net.ml.org:26 (not full-time)
Fido 1:109/111

1. JobConnectEurope & The Contractor's Club Now On-Line, Thousands of IT Jobs On-Line..

JobConnectEurope and The Contractor's Club are now online... Thousands
of Jobs, Both Contract and Permanent for IT Professionals. Don't miss
that Job, Career Move or Contract, register with us now and receive our
latest jobs straight to your mail box.

Register with us now... Its easy, simply go to our site at
Http://www.jobconnecteurope.com/ and fill out the Registration Form.
Once registered you will receive jobs which match your requirements via
email direct to your mail box.  You can amend your details at any time,
you can also mark yourself unavailable from which point you will not
receive any further email until you pop back on line and amend your
status to available.  Its Easy, its simple, its immediate.... Unlike
other job sites we do not sell CV's, you stipulate how you wish to be
contacted. Join us now...

Our Discussion Forum and Virtual Chat areas in The Contractors Club will
be available shortley, for you to discuss issues with other like minded
people. Don't miss it.

See you on-line

Thanks for your time..

Trevor

2. ATI Graphics Ultra PLUS ?

3. NEW ON-LINE LINUX BOOK

4. Getting rid of XConsole

5. Manual(s)/Book(s) sought on-line

6. XMMS question

7. Any (Free) on-line references/books on Network setup?

8. ifconfig doesnt see nic

9. On-line/Off-line long-term power backup

10. Can't make Linux see a BOCA On-Line Express internal modem

11. Score 2 for Linux on-line support

12. WWW: Linux on-line bookstore

13. Linux and On-Line Banking