KDE mounting problem

Post by Timothy Kell » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm using RH 6 / KDE 1.1.1

As a user, I created an icon for my cdrom ... which is set up in
fstab, which points to /dev/cdrom (symlink to /dev/hdc), and is user
mountable.  I am not using amd.

I can mount it just fine using the icon.  When I try to unmount it
complains that I cannot unmount /dev/hdc because I am not root and
/dev/hdc is not in fstab.  Well, there is nothing about /dev/hdc
anywhere in the icons properties or in fstab, so why is it complaining
about that?

 I suppose I can setup fstab to use /dev/hdc instead, but why can't
the icon use /dev/cdrom like its supposed to?

KDE mounting problem

Post by Janos Er » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm using RH 6 / KDE 1.1.1

> As a user, I created an icon for my cdrom ... which is set up in
> fstab, which points to /dev/cdrom (symlink to /dev/hdc), and is user
> mountable.  I am not using amd.

> I can mount it just fine using the icon.  When I try to unmount it
> complains that I cannot unmount /dev/hdc because I am not root and
> /dev/hdc is not in fstab.  Well, there is nothing about /dev/hdc
> anywhere in the icons properties or in fstab, so why is it complaining
> about that?

>  I suppose I can setup fstab to use /dev/hdc instead, but why can't
> the icon use /dev/cdrom like its supposed to?

I have the same problem. With the KDE mount tool as user
I can mount but not unmount. It is possible from the console
though. I've checked all possible access rights, but
did not find the solution...

Janos Ero

KDE mounting problem

Post by Davi » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

you might type  umount /dev/cdrom

> > I'm using RH 6 / KDE 1.1.1

> > As a user, I created an icon for my cdrom ... which is set up in
> > fstab, which points to /dev/cdrom (symlink to /dev/hdc), and is user
> > mountable.  I am not using amd.

> > I can mount it just fine using the icon.  When I try to unmount it
> > complains that I cannot unmount /dev/hdc because I am not root and
> > /dev/hdc is not in fstab.  Well, there is nothing about /dev/hdc
> > anywhere in the icons properties or in fstab, so why is it complaining
> > about that?

> >  I suppose I can setup fstab to use /dev/hdc instead, but why can't
> > the icon use /dev/cdrom like its supposed to?

> I have the same problem. With the KDE mount tool as user
> I can mount but not unmount. It is possible from the console
> though. I've checked all possible access rights, but
> did not find the solution...

> Janos Ero

1. Caldera2.2 KDE Mounting problem

Firstly, thank you very much to all those Linux gurus who have taken the
time to answer my previous postings. Your answers have helped me a lot and I
am slowly starting to understand a few (a very few) basic concepts of Linux.

Your answers have also partially fixed my mounting problem (drive mounting
that is). However, I still want to be able to access my other drives without
having to type additional commands.

Here is a copy of my fstab file. I have added the two last lines as advised
by other Linux users, which has made things a little easier. In addition to
adding these lines, I have also created 2 new folders (Drive_C and Drive_D)
as sub folders of the /mnt directory.

/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults  1  1
/dev/hdc2 swap swap defaults  0 0
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy msdos defaults,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/Drive_C defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/Drive_D defaults 0 0

Despite the addition of the two added lines, I still have to mount the
drives every time I restart the system. This is what I type at a command
prompt:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Drive_C
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Drive_C
Having typed those last two lines I can then access my other hard drives
from the KDE File Manager.

Question:
Is there a Linux equivalent of the autoexec.bat file that I could place
those mount statements in?

I don't have a programming background, nor am I an overly Windows/Dos
experienced person. Consequently, could your answers be as step-by-step as
possible given my limited ability and the fact that I am way out of my
depth.

Thanks in advance,

Sue ;-)

2. Solve emumod loading problem

3. Caldera2.2 Kde Mounting problem

4. Dell Latitude CPi PCMCIA under linux question

5. Caldera2.2 KDE Mounting problem

6. root password again

7. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

8. ==> hpost/bringup e10k <==

9. cdrom mount problems with KDE 1.1.2

10. Strange problem with NFS mounted homedirs in KDE ...

11. Problem with kde/kfm displaying a DOS mount point

12. problem mounting windows partitions from kde (Redhat 6.0)

13. Mail problems in KDE and crached KDE