Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

Post by mferr.. » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I am currently planning to upgrade my video card and am looking for
suggestions on what to buy.  I would like a 4MB VRAM card that has good
support for Linux X-windows, Win NT (4.0), and Win 95.  I am currently
leaning towards the #9 Motion 771 but I want something that will work well
with dedicated MPEG hardware as well -- any suggestions??

Mark Ferrara

Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

Post by a.. » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a Matrox Millennium 4Mb. It is great.
You need a commercial X server though (X-Inside is the fastest
http://www.xinside.com/).

: Hi,
:
:

--
-- Andrew E. Mileski --

http://www.redhat.com/~aem/

Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

Post by paddy mulle » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I would suggest a matrox millenium, it kicks butt, I don`t know if linux
supports it though, it is a lot faster than the #9 128

Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

Post by Bob Fah » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
  Was that an unveiled attempt at commercial endor*t for a X server that
costs $$, which was not what Mark was asking.  Well, I use a tvga9440agi
($60.00) which works fine with "Linux X-windows" ($0.00), which is more
in the direction of what you wanted to know, though it maxes out at 2mb, and
is not as fast as what you're looking for. I do not reference a http www page
as I'm not advertising anything.  I'm here just to help in any way I can,
sorry I didn't have a more in-depth answer for your question. I'm sure you'll
get more responses soon.

/>I have a Matrox Millennium 4Mb. It is great.
/>You need a commercial X server though (X-Inside is the fastest
/>http://www.veryComputer.com/).
/>
/>: Hi,
/>:
/>:
/>: I am currently planning to upgrade my video card and am looking for
/>: suggestions on what to buy.  I would like a 4MB VRAM card that has good
/>: support for Linux X-windows, Win NT (4.0), and Win 95.  I am currently
/>: leaning towards the #9 Motion 771 but I want something that will work
/well
/>: with dedicated MPEG hardware as well -- any suggestions??
/>:
/>:
/>:

Quote:>/: Mark Ferrara

/>
/>--
/>-- Andrew E. Mileski --

/>http://www.veryComputer.com/~aem/

--
//signed//

Famous quote by daughter Elizabeth, "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

Post by Allan Wi » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I am currently planning to upgrade my video card and am looking for
> suggestions on what to buy.  I would like a 4MB VRAM card that has good
> support for Linux X-windows, Win NT (4.0), and Win 95.  I am currently
> leaning towards the #9 Motion 771 but I want something that will work well
> with dedicated MPEG hardware as well -- any suggestions??

The Diamond Stealth 64 Video is well liked around here. It's based on a
s3 968 chip and it has a mpeg decoder hardwared and in general
considered fast. One can get the card in both a DRAM and a VRAM
version. The card is expensive here compared to competitors, but did
surprisingly well in a test compared to other cards... even cards based
on the same S3 chipset.

I don't own a card like that... so you need to double check the
information.

/Allan
Allan Wind              Phone: (+45) 40 27 14 94

5250  Odense SV         WWW:   http://www.imada.ou.dk/~wind/
Denmark

Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

Post by Bob Fah » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
  My apologies to Mr Mileski (see below), as he pointed out to me that while
I tagged him for an unveiled attempt at commercial, I was guilty of the same
by referencing the $60.00 tgvga9440 card.  Which was more blatant then just
saying/referencing X-inside.  He explained quite thoroughly that he was not
trying to endorse any thing other than the true value of X-inside and
the Matrox, and that the http/www's were provided to help the request
for information.  Again, my apologies to Mr Mileski and anyone else who may
have taken exception to my below statements.

"Occasionally shoots self in foot"
[...]

/>/>http://www.veryComputer.com/).
/>/>

/>/>:
/>/>:
/>/>: I am currently planning to upgrade my video card and am looking for
/>/>: suggestions on what to buy.  I would like a 4MB VRAM card that has good
/>/>: support for Linux X-windows, Win NT (4.0), and Win 95.  I am currently
/>/>: leaning towards the #9 Motion 771 but I want something that will work
/>/well
/>/>: with dedicated MPEG hardware as well -- any suggestions??
/>/>:
/>/>:
/>/>:
/>>/: Mark Ferrara

/>/>
/>/>--
/>/>-- Andrew E. Mileski --

/>/>http://www.veryComputer.com/~aem/
/>
/>--/>//signed//

/>Famous quote by daughter Elizabeth, "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"
/>/

Post by Bryan Quin » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I would suggest a matrox millenium, it kicks butt, I don`t know if linux
> supports it though, it is a lot faster than the #9 128

Matrox Millenium is supported under Linux, but not by XFree86.  You need Xinside
or another commerical X server to use a Matrox card.  I've used Diamond cards
with X and they work pretty well (although I was forced to use 3.1.2D to get my
Stealth64 2001 Video to work...

-- Bryan Quinn

Post by Jeff L » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>> Hi,

>> I am currently planning to upgrade my video card and am looking for
>> suggestions on what to buy.  I would like a 4MB VRAM card that has good
>> support for Linux X-windows, Win NT (4.0), and Win 95.  I am currently
>> leaning towards the #9 Motion 771 but I want something that will work well
>> with dedicated MPEG hardware as well -- any suggestions??

>The Diamond Stealth 64 Video is well liked around here. It's based on a
>s3 968 chip and it has a mpeg decoder hardwared and in general
>considered fast. One can get the card in both a DRAM and a VRAM
>version. The card is expensive here compared to competitors, but did
>surprisingly well in a test compared to other cards... even cards based
>on the same S3 chipset.

The Stealth 64 Video is cheap here in US. Great performance.
I tried it with XFree3.1.2d. Also in WinNT, Win95, and OS/2 Warp. All
worked fine. I think it's cheaper than #9 Motion 771.

Jeff
                                        ("\''/").___..--''"`-._
    ~~~~~~~~~             \             `9_ 9  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
                           \ /\         (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
                           (  )       _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' .'
                         .( o  ).    (il).-''  ((i).'  ((!.-'

Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

Post by Shorn Toll » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

So is the Diamond Stealth 64 supported by X windows?
Being based on an S3 chipset does this mean it will be well supported under
Dos based things? (ie. games :)

Thanks to anyone who can help me,
Shorn Tolley

>The Diamond Stealth 64 Video is well liked around here. It's based on a
>s3 968 chip and it has a mpeg decoder hardwared and in general
>considered fast. One can get the card in both a DRAM and a VRAM
>version. The card is expensive here compared to competitors, but did
>surprisingly well in a test compared to other cards... even cards based
>on the same S3 chipset.
>/Allan
>Allan Wind          Phone: (+45) 40 27 14 94

>5250  Odense SV             WWW:   http://www.imada.ou.dk/~wind/
>Denmark

Buying new Video Card. Any suggestions?

Post by Ward De » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

I'd strongly recommend Hercules Graphite which does better job than Diamond
Stealth countpart. I only had one failure on Hercules product but numerous
troubles with Diamond product. Diamond does very good job on marketing but
simply not on QC. Hercules does best customer/technical service among others.
I only hope they can be more aggressive on marketing (setting up more retail
channels, VAR/OEM programs, ...).

#9, STB also have better QC than Diamond from my limited experience with them.

Quote:>>The Diamond Stealth 64 Video is well liked around here. It's based on a
>>s3 968 chip and it has a mpeg decoder hardwared and in general

                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It does nothing for you.

Quote:>>considered fast. One can get the card in both a DRAM and a VRAM

                                                  ^^^^       ^^^^^
No. S3-868/S3Trio64(V+) is for DRAM and S3-968 is for VRAM.

Quote:>>version. The card is expensive here compared to competitors, but did
>>surprisingly well in a test compared to other cards... even cards based
>>on the same S3 chipset.

Where did you get this? Even if you talk about MS-Windows "benchmarks" used
by some Wintel-oriented magazines, Diamond is normally not on the top of
the lists. For X-Window performance, I have my own data and I'd say Diamond
cards are not worthwhile. Remember their drivers (for MS stuff of course)
are very poor and buggy. Virtually we never use diskettes come with the board.
It wasted us a lot of time to research the right driver and download it.

In a word, there is no reason to recommend Diamond product. S3 chip based
cards are very well supported in XFree86. Diamond is popular because they
made their products available in most hardware suppliers' warehouses and
disencourage them to carry their competitor's products. Personally I recommend
Hercules products.
  /     Ward Deng       /  Maui Project Office  / U. of New Mexico      /
 /  E-mail:            /  1601 Central Ave. NE / Albuquerque, NM 87131 /

1. Should I buy a new video card?

I am hoping that some of you out there will help me decide
if I should buy a new video card for my computer or just
add more VRAM.

I have an IBM/PS1 computer that is 2 years old & came with
a generic type monitor.  IBM did not include any technical
information about the monitor so I called them & this is
what I have managed to find out:

They first said that the horizontal sync rate is 31.5 & the
vertical is 60/70.  Then they told me that it if the vertical
was 56.3 the horzontal would be 35.7, if the vertical is 60
the horizontal is 37.9 & if the vertical is 70 the horizontal
is 56.

The video card is at ET4000 with 512K of memory.  From the playing
around that I have done, I have determined that 40 is the largest
dot clock that I can use.

My goal is two-fold:  Occupy the full screen & have no flicker.

Right now I am using a variation of the 800x600 resolution but the
flicker is horrible.  If I go to 640x480 the flicker is tolerable
but I don't get to use all of my screen space.  From what I can tell,
the higher resolutions lead to more screen area being used.

My monitor can handle 1024x768 but it will be interlaced.  I don't
have enough video ram for that right now.

I have the ability to add another 512K of VRAM.  Then I would be able
to get the higher resolution.  But I was playing with the figures &
if I have to use the 40 dot clock then at the higher resolutions the
refresh rate will basically suck rocks.  Does the interlacing have
anything to do with that?  Would I get more benefit by purchasing a
video card (like ATI's Graphic Expression with 1 meg ... I think it is
a Mach64 card) with an accelerator?  I certainly can't afford to buy a
new monitor.

I would appreciate any words of advice.

Thanks!

Julie

2. Example of using rewindstdin wanted (HELP)

3. Buying new computer. what video card?

4. batch management product under Unix [and VMS]?

5. Buying a new video card for Linux?

6. lost file names.. can anyone help?

7. im buying a new video card..

8. Stripe width/size/chunk size etc

9. Video problems, so I'm buying a new card this weekend !

10. Buying a new video card...

11. Buying a new video card for Linux?

12. Buying a new video card...

13. upgrading video card and buying new monitor