ps/2 mouse problem under XFree86 (mouse is busy)

ps/2 mouse problem under XFree86 (mouse is busy)

Post by Saud Sam » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I had a similar problem when I installed Redhat 3.0.3 on my system.
During installation I selected the PS/2 mouse but when I ran X the
pointer would jump to the top of the screen and not respond correctly to
the mouse. When I checked XF86Config the mouse was set to 'Microsoft'
even though I am 100% sure that I selected PS/2 during installation. I
changed it to PS/2 manually and it has worked fine since. Check to make
sure that the mouse is set to PS/2 even if this is what you selected
during installation. This should be easily located in the pointer
section of your XF86Config file.

Good Luck

Post by Tetbra » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I've seen several postings in regards to this problem, but I have yet
> to find a posted answer.  I have read the FAQ's, the HOW-TO's, looked
> through several newsgroups for the past week; no dice.

> The first time I ran XFree86 (after I figured out that damn xfconfig
> stuff) it worked fine.  Every time since then, when I run startx, the
> screen flashes twice and the shell prompt pops back up saying "mouse
> busy".

> The only way i have found around this (and i am sure that this is
> probably not the way to go about fixing the problem)  has been to
> change the /dev/mouse symbolic link to point to the serial port
> (ttyS0, which has nothing attached to it),
> run startx (which starts, but can't do anything else),
> change the resolution a few times (i don't understand why, but this
> doesn't work unless i press ctrl-alt-minus a few times),
> get out of X by pressing ctrl-alt-backspace,
> change the /dev/mouse link back to /dev/psaux
> startx again (which works fine now)

> i have to repeat this every time i restart linux.  If there is a  more
> efficent method to starting XFree86 with a ps/2 mouse, i appreciate
> hearing how.

> Thanks in advance,

I had this problem once too. The source of this for me was that I was
running gpm at startup. As soon as I stopped using it everything was
fine for me. Good luck.

Post by Geoff Sho » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I've seen several postings in regards to this problem, but I have yet
: to find a posted answer.  I have read the FAQ's, the HOW-TO's, looked
: through several newsgroups for the past week; no dice.

: The first time I ran XFree86 (after I figured out that damn xfconfig
: stuff) it worked fine.  Every time since then, when I run startx, the
: screen flashes twice and the shell prompt pops back up saying "mouse
: busy".

The problem might be gpm, the program that lets you use the
mouse in consoles. This grabs control of the mouse device.  gpm might
be started automatically from your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

Solution is to kill gpm before you start X, or change to using
        gpm -R
which pipes the mouse data to /dev/gpmdata in MouseSystems format.
Run this option, configure X for MouseSystems on /dev/gpmdata and you
should be OK. (This may not work on older versions of gpm)

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

Post by Jim Wayd » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I tried all combinations I think It clashes with my tape drive,how do I get
> rid of the gpm?

> > I had a similar problem when I installed Redhat 3.0.3 on my system.
> > During installation I selected the PS/2 mouse but when I ran X the
> > pointer would jump to the top of the screen and not respond correctly to
> > the mouse. When I checked XF86Config the mouse was set to 'Microsoft'
> > even though I am 100% sure that I selected PS/2 during installation. I had the samr problem with my Redhat 3.03 install. I am using a

Microsoft Busmouse and selected Microsoft Busmouse During the install.
The Redhat install incorectly set the mouse type to "Microsoft". I
changed it to "Busmouse" in order to resilve the problem.

Jim Wayda

Quote:> > changed it to PS/2 manually and it has worked fine since. Check to make

Post by Alex Bozinovsk » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I tried all combinations I think It clashes with my tape drive,how do I get
rid of the gpm?

Quote:> I had a similar problem when I installed Redhat 3.0.3 on my system.
> During installation I selected the PS/2 mouse but when I ran X the
> pointer would jump to the top of the screen and not respond correctly to
> the mouse. When I checked XF86Config the mouse was set to 'Microsoft'
> even though I am 100% sure that I selected PS/2 during installation. I
> changed it to PS/2 manually and it has worked fine since. Check to make
> sure that the mouse is set to PS/2 even if this is what you selected
> during installation. This should be easily located in the pointer
> section of your XF86Config file.

> Good Luck

ps/2 mouse problem under XFree86 (mouse is busy)

Post by Brian Savag » Sat, 27 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I seem to be having the same problem with my screen blinking twice, but then
my screen just goes blank.  I am running gpm with a ps/2 mouse and have not gotten
X to display anything at all on my screen. Running X -probeonly does not give any
errors though, which seems weird.  If anybody has any suggestions mail me
I am running on a mach32 board (1024k) with a AST Vision4I Monitor.
I tried using the gpm with the -R flag but it does the same thing, blink twice and
blanks.

Brian Savage

Quote:> The problem might be gpm, the program that lets you use the
> mouse in consoles. This grabs control of the mouse device.  gpm might
> be started automatically from your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

> Solution is to kill gpm before you start X, or change to using
>         gpm -R
> which pipes the mouse data to /dev/gpmdata in MouseSystems format.
> Run this option, configure X for MouseSystems on /dev/gpmdata and you
> should be OK. (This may not work on older versions of gpm)

1. Weird mouse behaviour w/ XFree86 3.3.2 and Logitech PS/2 mouse

Hey everyone.  I've just got an annoying problem I'd like to get rid of,
if I can.  Everytime I switch out of X to a virtual console and then
switch back, my mouse is completely unresponsive for about 3 seconds and
then when it does come back, it acts like it's moved around and clicked
on everything, even though I haven't touched it!  For example, when
playing SVGALib-Quake, then quitting out, the mouse selects some text in
the Xterm I launched it from, even though I haven't touched the mouse!

I'm using XFree86 3.3.2 with the Millennium video card (2 MB) and a
Logitech PS/2 mouse.  If anyone knows what's going on, please give me a
shout!

Thanks,
- Greg

--
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|        Greg Hughes         |  "Resistance is futile; you will be  |

+----------------------------+--------------------------------------+

2. Making a process run independent of the terminal

3. ps/2 mouse problem; Device busy

4. dev_tint, dev->family, dev->pa_* removed when?

5. PS/2 Mouse Busy Problem

6. Sun C++ 5.0 dynamic library problems (missing libCstd.so)

7. PS/2 BUS Mouse Problem - device or resource busy

8. Sendmail and DNS

9. PROBLEM: PS/2 mouse movements cause lock up of all mouse and keyboard input

10. Some answers to various mouse problems Re: PS/2 Mouse and XFree

11. Problems with Mouse Systems PS/2 mouse

12. mouse problems: new ps/2 mouse jumps to left or bottom border