Diamond Stealth 32 VLB w/ 2M DRAM

Post by Coyo » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

Howdy.

I recently purchased a Diamond Stealth 32 VLB, with the ET4000W32p
chip, and an stg1702J-13Z ramdac.  I was wondering if anyone out
there has configured one of these to work with the XFree86 W32
server?  I've been working on it for a couple of days now, and
the best I can get is 640x480.  I've read the docs, faqs, and
even accessed the Diamond home page.  The home page had a nice
section regarding server programming for this board, but I don't
really want to have to code a server.

What I wish some kind soul(s) would do is:

        provide a list of dot clocks for this card
        describe any Device section options required
        describe any clock program needed (I got one from tsx-11 which
           by name indicated the Stealth card, but referenced the S3
           chipset, instead of ET4000/W32p)
        provide a modeline or two for 800x600 1024x768 resolutions

Information on my system:

        OS      Linux 1.1.59
        XFree86 ver3.1.1
        Server  XF86_W32
        Board   Diamond Stealth 32 VLB w/ 2M DRAM
        Monitor Orchestra Trumpet
                VSF = 50-90
                HSF = 31.5 | 35.5 | 38 | 48
                    I'm sure these can be fudged a bit

If possible, e-mail would be prefered, but I will be watching this
group for any posted info.

Any and all help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

William Epperly

Post by Ben Sup » Tue, 23 May 1995 04:00:00

> Howdy.

> I recently purchased a Diamond Stealth 32 VLB, with the ET4000W32p
> chip, and an stg1702J-13Z ramdac.  I was wondering if anyone out
> there has configured one of these to work with the XFree86 W32
> server?  I've been working on it for a couple of days now, and
> the best I can get is 640x480.  I've read the docs, faqs, and
> even accessed the Diamond home page.  The home page had a nice
> section regarding server programming for this board, but I don't
> really want to have to code a server.

[snip]

This afternoon I got my Stealth 32 2M DRAM working with minimal hassle,
using dclkprog.tgz, found at sunsite.unc.edu in pub/Linux/X11/X-servers.
It includes source for an external clock chip setting program, as well as
an example XF86Config demonstrating how to use it with the Stealth 32. It
runs fine with the ET4000/W32 accellerated server.

(And I'm a complete novice at XFree86.)

Good luck.

-b

Post by Chuck Kra » Wed, 24 May 1995 04:00:00

>> Howdy.

>> I recently purchased a Diamond Stealth 32 VLB, with the ET4000W32p
>> chip, and an stg1702J-13Z ramdac.  I was wondering if anyone out
>> there has configured one of these to work with the XFree86 W32
>> server?  I've been working on it for a couple of days now, and
>> the best I can get is 640x480.  I've read the docs, faqs, and
>> even accessed the Diamond home page.  The home page had a nice
>> section regarding server programming for this board, but I don't
>> really want to have to code a server.

>[snip]

>This afternoon I got my Stealth 32 2M DRAM working with minimal hassle,
>using dclkprog.tgz, found at sunsite.unc.edu in pub/Linux/X11/X-servers.
>It includes source for an external clock chip setting program, as well as
>an example XF86Config demonstrating how to use it with the Stealth 32. It
>runs fine with the ET4000/W32 accellerated server.

>(And I'm a complete novice at XFree86.)

>Good luck.

>-b

 First I want to thank Peter Chang ??? for writing the dclkprog stuff that
makes the Stealth 32 work. He's done quite a service getting these boards
working for us. My Stealth 32 is in a 486DX4-100 system with 1.2.7. I get
the "pixel dust" that only some people say they see. It seems to be less
prevelent when I use the SVGA server than the W32. Any way to clean it up?
I messes up my Netscape and weather pictures. :-) Mine is the VLB One.
All in all things are up and running. This Linux is good stuff! Really
good stuff!!

 ChuckK

 Chuck Kranz     Amateur Radio Station WA7OEF

 http://www.best.com/~chuckk/chuckpage.html

Diamond Stealth 32 VLB w/ 2M DRAM

Post by Coyo » Thu, 25 May 1995 04:00:00

Howdy,
  just wanted to thank all you folks who wrote me with the
solution to my problem.  Damn, but ain't this board hot!
Whoever said that Diamond sucks should re-think their stance.
And, to Peter Chang:  you be a genius, man!  Thanks for the
hard work you did to make these cards palatable to the X
server.  I swear, that was the best $170 I ever spent!  I
just can't get over how well this board works, and if the
accelerated circuits aren't yet supported, I can only guess
how fast the Stealth will be when acceleration is supported.
Anyway...

William Epperly              |  Any advertising man who is guilty

                                with his medulla oblongata. --
                                -- Dale Carnagie

Post by Peter Cha » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Howdy,
:   just wanted to thank all you folks who wrote me with the
: solution to my problem.  Damn, but ain't this board hot!
: Whoever said that Diamond sucks should re-think their stance.
: And, to Peter Chang:  you be a genius, man!  Thanks for the
: hard work you did to make these cards palatable to the X
: server.  I swear, that was the best $170 I ever spent!  I
: just can't get over how well this board works, and if the
: accelerated circuits aren't yet supported, I can only guess
: how fast the Stealth will be when acceleration is supported.
William,

My pleasure. But it wasn't very hard to do, just changing someone else's
program. As for the acceleration, the XFree W32 server do support some
features and is about 50% faster than the plain SVGA at the moment.

atb,
 Peter
--

              0115-951 3849 at work(!?)

Post by David Mackenz » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>: Howdy,
>:   just wanted to thank all you folks who wrote me with the
>: solution to my problem.  Damn, but ain't this board hot!
>: Whoever said that Diamond sucks should re-think their stance.
>: And, to Peter Chang:  you be a genius, man!  Thanks for the
>: hard work you did to make these cards palatable to the X
>: server.  I swear, that was the best $170 I ever spent!  I
>: just can't get over how well this board works, and if the
>: accelerated circuits aren't yet supported, I can only guess
>: how fast the Stealth will be when acceleration is supported.
>William,

Please, please post the xconfig file and put us all out our misery!

1. Stealth 32 VLB 2M

There used to be a lot of postings on not getting Diamond Stealth 32
VLB 2M boards to work properly with Xfree.  I get a display at
1024x768 8bpp but it is very buggy - broken cursor, pixel dust and bad
bitblt.  Things seem to have been quiet here for some time now.  Has
anybody got this setup going properly?

Regards,
Andy Robb.

2. Red Hat 5.2 XFree86

3. Diamond Stealth SE (32 bit with DRAM)

4. ppp8 <--> /dev/ttyS1

5. Diamond Stealth 64 Video 2001 PCI (2M DRAM)

6. a question on ncurses programming

7. XF86Config for Diamond Stealth 64 Dram(2M, Vision 964 Chip) wanted!

8. Problems with Mosaic and Netscape

9. Help: Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM 2M with S3-868

10. Diamond stealth 3d 2M,DRAM, X server???

11. Diamond Stealth 64 PCI 2M DRAM & XWindows: How?

12. HELP: Xconfig file for Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM 2M with Nokia 447X Monitor

13. Help: Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM 2M with S3-868