Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Post by msh.. » Tue, 19 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm trying to run Netscape 1.1N for linux, and have been trying to
like it's news reader.  I'm finding many things impossible to do
that are simple for other news readers, and other things that are
really disturbing, like Netscape reporting

File Not Found!   Could it be out of date?

for a ridiculous number of articles.  My other news reader
(SPRY News on NT) can open and read the VERY SAME articles
Netscape croaked on without any problems whatever.  Has anyone
else encountered this phenomenon?

Also, say I would like to see a list of all newsgroups that contain
the word *linux*.  What I want to see is a list like the following:

aus.computers.linux
comp.os.linux
linux.act.680x0
sfnet.atk.linux
... etc.

How could you do this in Netscape without manually clicking
and expanding every usegroup tree and eyeing it
manually?  Am I missing something?

I would like to be able to use Netscape in Linux for news,
without having to reboot NT and run Spry News.
But Netscape keeps hitting me over the head with
what appears to me to be a mallet of poor design.

Like ... say I want to find all articles in comp.os.linux.misc
that pertain to *SCSI cdrom drives*.  Since Netscape
organizes it's news display PRIMARILY around dates (that
earlier and later stuff), so as to facilitate speedy delivery
of SOMETHING, you cannot easily search the entire
active newsgroup without, AGAIN, manually clicking

earliest articles ... search here for some
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
latest articles ... now let's finally search in this group.

I've tried to set my maximum articles at a time to
5000, but I still get an earlier option, and this is how
I became acquainted with the fact the Netscape can't
seem to find and load articles that other readers can
find and load without working up a sweat.

Frankly, I find its news reader pitiful.  What do you
think?  Am I missing something here?  I hope so.

PS.  I've RTFM and I'm still unimpressed.

Thanks for any comments, corrections, animadversions, etc.

Yours, alas, from Spry News in NT,
Mark

Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Post by Amit Chatterje » Tue, 19 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I am having a starange problem when I use the Netscape newsreader. When I try
to reply to a posting and select the button "Quote Document", Netscape crashes.
Does anyone else has this problem ? If anyone does, is there a way to fix this
?

Any help in this matter will be truly appreciated. (Send me an E-mail at

/******************************************************************************
All opinions are mine, not BNR's
*******************************************************************************/

Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Post by Phil Bellaloun » Tue, 19 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I don't think you're missing anything... Netscape newsreading does suck.
It's a PITFA.  I'm having every problem you describe plus problems
saving articles (a save dialog often comes up and does nothing, no file
ever gets saved and the dialog sticks around until I quit netscape).
Hopefully this is just a * fix and they plan to make it more
usable and useful in future releases... if they can stop screwing around
with W95 enhancements and work on the *important* ports ;-)

Phil

Post by David L. Johnso » Tue, 19 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Hi.

>I'm trying to run Netscape 1.1N for linux, and have been trying to
>like it's news reader.  I'm finding many things impossible to do
>that are simple for other news readers, and other things that are
>really disturbing, like Netscape reporting

>File Not Found!   Could it be out of date?

Hmm.  Never happens to me.  Maybe something about your setup?  How are
you connecting to the net?

Quote:>How could you do this in Netscape without manually clicking
>and expanding every usegroup tree and eyeing it
>manually?  Am I missing something?

Valid gripe.  I tried the `find' option on all newsgroups, and it
just searches the visible headers.

Quote:>Like ... say I want to find all articles in comp.os.linux.misc
>that pertain to *SCSI cdrom drives*.  Since Netscape
>organizes it's news display PRIMARILY around dates (that
>earlier and later stuff), so as to facilitate speedy delivery
>of SOMETHING, you cannot easily search the entire
>active newsgroup without, AGAIN, manually clicking

Again, I think this is a problem.  But I still think its better than xrn.

--

Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Post by David Laude » Wed, 20 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi.

> I'm trying to run Netscape 1.1N for linux, and have been trying to
> like it's news reader.  I'm finding many things impossible to do
> that are simple for other news readers, and other things that are
> really disturbing, like Netscape reporting

> File Not Found!   Could it be out of date?

> for a ridiculous number of articles.  My other news reader
> (SPRY News on NT) can open and read the VERY SAME articles
> Netscape croaked on without any problems whatever.  Has anyone
> else encountered this phenomenon?

I thought it was my newserver dumping articles after a certain period of
time. Maybe it was Netscape misreading the .newsrc file?

Quote:

> Also, say I would like to see a list of all newsgroups that contain
> the word *linux*.  What I want to see is a list like the following:

> aus.computers.linux
> comp.os.linux
> linux.act.680x0
> sfnet.atk.linux
> ... etc.

> How could you do this in Netscape without manually clicking
> and expanding every usegroup tree and eyeing it
> manually?  Am I missing something?

If you are, I'm missing it too.

Quote:

> I would like to be able to use Netscape in Linux for news,
> without having to reboot NT and run Spry News.
> But Netscape keeps hitting me over the head with
> what appears to me to be a mallet of poor design.

> Like ... say I want to find all articles in comp.os.linux.misc
> that pertain to *SCSI cdrom drives*.  Since Netscape
> organizes it's news display PRIMARILY around dates (that
> earlier and later stuff), so as to facilitate speedy delivery
> of SOMETHING, you cannot easily search the entire
> active newsgroup without, AGAIN, manually clicking

> earliest articles ... search here for some
> later articles ... now let's search here for some more
> later articles ... now let's search here for some more
> later articles ... now let's search here for some more
> later articles ... now let's search here for some more
> latest articles ... now let's finally search in this group.

> I've tried to set my maximum articles at a time to
> 5000, but I still get an earlier option, and this is how
> I became acquainted with the fact the Netscape can't
> seem to find and load articles that other readers can
> find and load without working up a sweat.

> Frankly, I find its news reader pitiful.  What do you
> think?  Am I missing something here?  I hope so.

I found it pitiful, but fast, over my PPP link w/28.8K modem.

> PS.  I've RTFM and I'm still unimpressed.

> Thanks for any comments, corrections, animadversions, etc.

> Yours, alas, from Spry News in NT,
> Mark

I liked the speed at which it accessed my active newsgroups and returned
the header information, but I didn't like the static binary hogging my
resources, so I'm now using Pine for news reading. I'm sure many would
agree that Netscape is superior to Pine, but I like it. Tin was too slow
reading the newsgroup list from my NNTP server.

       _/  _/      /                                                /_
      _/  _/      /  If it's free, then someone else paid for it.  / /
  _/ _/  _/      /________________________________________________/ /
 _/ _/  _/_/_/    /________________________________________________/

Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Post by Jim Cassid » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

You need to do the following (from the netscape 1.1N readme):

SunOS 4.1, Linux, and BSDI:

These distributions also includes a directory called "nls".
This directory is a standard part of the MIT X11R5 distribution,
but is not included with X11R4- or X11R6-based systems (such as
OpenWindows 3.0 or earlier, and XFree86 3.1 or later.)

On these systems, Netscape has been linked against X11R5 (because
Motif 1.2.4 has some bad bugs in conjunction with with X11R6.)
Unfortunately, X11R5 has one rather serious bug, which is that if
this "nls" directory does not exist, the program will dump core
any time you try to copy or paste to or from a text field!

So, if you don't have the "nls" directory on your system, you will
need to install it first.  Here is where Netscape looks for it
(these default pathnames are hardcoded into the executable):

                SunOS 4.1:  /usr/lib/X11/nls/
                Linux:      /usr/X386/lib/X11/nls/
                BSDI:       /usr/X11/lib/X11/nls/

If you choose not to create the directory there, then you must
set the $XNLSPATH environment variable to the directory where you
did install it.

--
Jim Cassidy                            "This is so cool I have
                                        to go to the bathroom"

http://www.primenet.com/~jimboc/

Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Post by Gary War » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I switched to it mainly for the reason that it sorts the articles
>so that the replies are listed after the original articel.
>This saves me a lot of time when browsing news groups, especially
>when a "Make Money fast" article has been posted.

>Are there any other news readers (for unix) that offers this
>functionality?

>Trond Vidar Stensby, Norway

This "sorting" of articles is a feature of a "threaded" new reader.  There
are many others that will do this, tin and gnus are both examples.  There
are more newsreaders out there than I care to count.  Personally, I use
netscape.
|                        | To see a world in a grain of sand,      |
| Gary Ward              | And a heaven in a wild flower,          |

|                        | And eternity in an hour.                |
|                        |                      -- William Blake   |

Post by Trond Vidar Stensb » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> > Also, say I would like to see a list of all newsgroups that contain
> > the word *linux*.  What I want to see is a list like the following:

> > aus.computers.linux
> > comp.os.linux
> > linux.act.680x0
> > sfnet.atk.linux
> > ... etc.

> > How could you do this in Netscape without manually clicking
> > and expanding every usegroup tree and eyeing it
> > manually?  Am I missing something?

> If you are, I'm missing it too.

It works for me.

Quote:> > Frankly, I find its news reader pitiful.  What do you
> > think?  Am I missing something here?  I hope so.

> I found it pitiful, but fast, over my PPP link w/28.8K modem.

I switched to it mainly for the reason that it sorts the articles
so that the replies are listed after the original articel.
This saves me a lot of time when browsing news groups, especially
when a "Make Money fast" article has been posted.

Are there any other news readers (for unix) that offers this
functionality?

Trond Vidar Stensby, Norway

Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Post by Lynn R. Ziegle » Wed, 27 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I used tin for 2 years and liked it ok.

I now use Netscape and like it a LOT better. Why, when it is clearly slower
for extracting uuencoded binaries?

1. I seldom extract binaries anyway. I get them via ftp. Binaries in
   newsgroups are a bad idea. That's what the internet is for. Smart
   posters include a complete URL for ftp-ing the file so Netscape users
   can click on the text and get the file!

2. The speed difference is not that big a deal. I almost NEVER am in
   that much of a hurry.

3. ADVANTAGES:
        The loadURL method of doing keyword searches is VERY convenient.
        I can click a button to do a find within a post or within a list
                of posts. Same for printing. Simple file menu for saving a
                post. Point and Click is why I like GUI's. Netscape USES the
                GUI. (This is from a converted EMACS Elisp macro writer. I
                don't even use EMACS or VI anymore. ARGH! I'm apostate!)
        I clan click on http (and email addresses) in posts and get there
                (and mail) instantly. This is an OVERWHELMING advantage.
        The simplicity of one tool with a uniform interface for almost all
                my internet tasks cannot be overstated.
        I don't have to remember the mnemonic keystrokes I used in Tin. (I
                know about help - that is not necessary if you have menus
                and buttons. THAT is why MACS sell.)

I am NOT trying to badmouth tin. (I have also used rn and xrn). I think as
a keyboard-based newsreader, tin is as good as anything I could design. It
is just too limited since it is not part of a good web browser.

--
Lynn R. Ziegler             Phone: (612) 363-3083

St. John's University       Home Page: http://bingen.cs.csbsju.edu/~lziegler/
Collegeville, MN 56321      CSB/SJU Home Page: http://www.csbsju.edu/

1. How do I get 'w' to say that i am doing something else

you know when you type w it says what the person is doing, right?
i know there is a way to change it, like if i am doing ftp, it could say,
'Downloading stuff' for the activity.
how do i do this?

This message was from ball at smart.net Read it and like it. whatever...
"Help a man when he is in trouble, and he will remember you when he is in

2. Thanks for all the help!

3. I am missing something simple

4. Linux+NT4+win98

5. Am I missing something with the 5.0 ISO images?

6. How do I remove Linux partitions w/o linux?

7. Bug in cardbus initialization, or am I missing something?

8. Link two machine

9. posting test 2, I am writing a news reader

10. date/time, Am I missing something?

11. Xconfigurator-am I missing something?

12. Am I Missing Something???

13. named configuration - am I missing something obvious ?