help required: emulating a mouse-click through the keyboard ??

help required: emulating a mouse-click through the keyboard ??

Post by Eran Sherif » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Anybody out there knows how to emulate a mouse-click via the
keyboard?
Will appreciate any info on that subject

Thx, -Eran

--

Eran Sheriff

help required: emulating a mouse-click through the keyboard ??

Post by VStudioG » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi (again),

After more coffee and thinking, I remember
that this used to work at DIGITAL on
the VaxStations running X.  I believe
CRTL-F7 or CTRL-SHIFT-F7 would
put the X Server in a mode where the
arrows would move the mouse cursor, and
I can't remember what keys would cause
a "click".

It was the "space bar" on the Atari ST
for mouse button 1.

John

help required: emulating a mouse-click through the keyboard ??

Post by VStudioG » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have never seen any information about
emulating mouse clicks under X via
the keyboard.  I'm hoping that someone
has, and can point us the way.

The only computer I ever saw this work
on was the Atari ST of all things.  This
was builtin to the OS, and when holding
CTRL+ALT the arrows would move the
cursor, SHIFT would allow fine (1 pixel)
movement, and I can't remember what
keys were used for the mouse buttons.

You'd think others would have done
something similar, but I wouldn't hold
my breath.

I expect this could be done in SW on
X, if no one responds, perhaps I will
create such a utility myself.  There may
be some technical limitations though
preventing an easy approach.

John

Post by Jim Randel » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have never seen any information about
> emulating mouse clicks under X via
> the keyboard.  I'm hoping that someone
> has, and can point us the way.

Checkout the hugely powerful XKB extension that comes with most modern
X servers. Documentation can be tricky to find, but once you do
there's loads of it.

(Try: <URL:ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/R6.4/xc/doc/hardcopy/XKB/>)

If you're using XFree86 you should already have the files for the
"mousekeys" option.

--
Jim Randell
http://www.slashdot.f9.co.uk/