X Window Managers

Post by Frank Hal » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to study how window managers operate. I am looking for a
resource on the internet which describes all the things that a window
manager has to do. I have looked at some small window managers such as
wm2, lwm, 9wm, etc. I am wondering if these are the simplest window
managers possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
From:      Frank Hale

ICQ:       7205161
Website:   http://www.franksstuff.com/

"Knowledge only takes you so far, Determination takes you the rest of
the way"

X Window Managers

Post by FoulDrag » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have looked at some small window managers such as
>wm2, lwm, 9wm, etc. I am wondering if these are the simplest window
>managers possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is that "simplest possible" has to do with human concerns, such as
what level of functionality people want.  Moving, raising/lowering, and
resizing windows are the bare minimums.  Hiding/iconifying is also common.
Generally, some sort of border to handle the window by is added.  Most of those
could probably be done away with to simplify.... wm2 and flwm seem pretty
simple to examine the source of; also wm might be worth examining-- it's simple
too, and they each do just about the least for handling windows possible.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii Dra'torrinah(Clan Nightwings)
members.xoom.com/marada   Colony name not needed in address.

X Window Managers

Post by Codifex Maximu » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to study how window managers operate. I am looking for a
> resource on the internet which describes all the things that a window
> manager has to do. I have looked at some small window managers such as
> wm2, lwm, 9wm, etc. I am wondering if these are the simplest window
> managers possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> --
> From:      Frank Hale

> ICQ:       7205161
> Website:   http://www.franksstuff.com/

> "Knowledge only takes you so far, Determination takes you the rest of
> the way"

Take a look at BlackBox and twm.  Go to freshmeat.net and search.

Codifex

1. how do you open other window managers in a window manager

I like using ICE as my w.m.  but sometimes I like the look of
WindowMaker.  How can I open this up in Ice.

also, can I use KDE as my default and then be able to use Ice or WM as
above?  The only reason I'm asking is that KDE is an environment while
the other two are managers.

also , does anyone know where i can get a tutorial or a good web site
on Ice.  the main site seems to be down or misplaces or something.

2. Ultra SCSI disk on Fast SCSI Controller?

3. FreeBSD boot manager and Windows NT disk manager

4. Differences in Slackware

5. Windows NT server manager, user manager and iptables

6. Pentium Pro and Solaris 2.? x86

7. ctwm window manager Icon manager?

8. Which trusted Linux distro? - could use a quick answer

9. Desktop manager or Window manager ?

10. switch Window manager and desktop manager?

11. Windows-like window manager?

12. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

13. Window System Hangs When Using CDE + olwm Window Manager