Pretty strange 'n funky bug !

Post by Centre d'accès communautaire à Internet de St-Alpho » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi everybody !

I experienced a pretty strange bug with XFree86.  It might already have
been reported.  If so, please forgive me.  BTW, I am a newbie and I am
posting from work since I have not succeed I connecting my Linux system at
home to the Internet ("Kernel lack PPP support"... anybody willing to do
some handholding in compiling a new kernel ? :).  I don't have all the
detail at hand, but if somebody is interested in my experience, contact me
and ask for the specific detail you need (kernel version, X server version,
etc.) and I'll get them for you.

I am using Red Hat 5.0, gotten from the Info-Magic 6 CD set of february 98.
 My video card is a S3 Trio 64V+, so the RedHat install choosed the S3 X
server.  My monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 3Ne, wich I choosed from a list.

FNWM acted quit strangely.  It seem that the display was offset by a 1/4"
to the left and  wrapped around to the right.  It's hard to explain, you
really have to see it to get it.  For example, the Start button in the
lower left corner of the screen was cut in half, the last 3/4 at the right
place in the lower left corner and the first 1/4 in the lower right corner.
 The mouse was having it right though, so you had to click 1/4" to the
right of the actual place you wanted to click to compensate for the offset
(i.e. to click the X button that close the windows in the far right corner,
you had to click a 1/4" right, actually outside the windows) .  The mouse
cursor also reacted to GUI element (i.e. windows border) a 1/4" to the
right.  I corrected the problem by choosing the "Generic monitor" in X
setup; it is now working fine.

I am wondering if this is a software bug or a sync/calibration problem with
the monitor.  What's your opinion ?

Etienne Goyer
stalphon at globetrotter dot qc dot ca

Pretty strange 'n funky bug !

Post by Kevin Mille » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

On the subject of the ppp problem:

Your Redhat 5.0 should have a book with it that has a section on
"post-installation configuration".  In that chapter it will tell you how
to recompile your kernel.  Use xconfig-- it's easier.

Just in case you didn't get a book, here's the steps:

1.  Go to the kernel source directory. (You did install kernel headers,
didn't you? If not, use glint to install them off of the cdrom.)
        cd /usr/src/linux

2.  Clean up the source tree.
        make mrproper

3.  Start the config program of your choice.
        make config       <command-line, kind of ugly>  OR
        make menuconfig   <much nicer, although not the best>  OR
        make xconfig      <x-based config program- very easy to use>

4.  Go through all of the menus and make sure you enable everything you
want to use, then click save and exit.

5.  Build all the depends.
        make dep ; make clean

6.  Compile the kernel.  Make sure you have a large, thick, entertaining
book to read while it compiles.  This is also a good time to go on
vacation.
        make bzImage   <make boot, make zImage, and a few others
                        work here too, but this one works best>

7.  Compile your modules, even if you didn't configure any.
        make modules

8.  Move all the old stuff out of the way.
        rm -rf /lib/modules/2.0.33-old
        mv /lib/modules/2.0.33 /lib/modules/2.0.33-old
        <'course, if you're using a kernel other than 2.0.33,
          put that in instead>

9.  Install your modules.
        make modules_install

10. You probably won't make any scsi drivers modular, so don't worry
about the initrd stuff.  Go to the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
directory and move the new kernel to your /boot directory.
        mv ./bzImage /boot

11. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to include another entry identical to what's
already there, only change the label of one of them and point the image
at /boot/bzImage.  It should look something like this after you're done:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/bzImage
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.32.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.32
        label=old
        root=/dev/hda2
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.32.img
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=lose95
        table=/dev/hda

Make sure to leave your old kernel in just in case something goes wrong.

12. Run Lilo and then reboot your computer.
        lilo
        shutdown -r now

I probably quoted a lot of howtos and faqs here, but maybe it'll save
someone some time and energy.  Hope it helps.

Kevin Miller

Quote: