X hangs!

Post by Artyom Baginsk » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello.
I have an Avance Logic 2301 PCI card and Samsung SyncMaster 500b monitor, I
have configure everything and X starts but it always hangs in ~3-7 min. Just
when it want: I can't find what makes it hang... Although sometimes it hangs
when i'm moving some window around the screen, but sometimes - not.

What it looks like?

Thanx in advance.

X hangs!

Post by Jon Le » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Artyom Baginski a crit dans le message

Quote:>Hello.
>I have an Avance Logic 2301 PCI card and Samsung SyncMaster 500b monitor, I
>have configure everything and X starts but it always hangs in ~3-7 min.
Just
>when it want: I can't find what makes it hang... Although sometimes it
hangs
>when i'm moving some window around the screen, but sometimes - not.

Could be a memory leak - certain of the newer Window Managers (notably
Gnome) have * memory leaks.  But we need more info here - what Window
Manager are you running?  Can you quit back to the command line with
Alt-Ctrl-Backspace or is the computer frozen?

X hangs!

Post by Artyom Baginsk » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>>I have an Avance Logic 2301 PCI card and Samsung SyncMaster 500b monitor,
>>have configure everything and X starts but it always hangs in ~3-7 min.
>Just
>>when it want: I can't find what makes it hang... Although sometimes it
>hangs
>>when i'm moving some window around the screen, but sometimes - not.

>Could be a memory leak - certain of the newer Window Managers (notably
>Gnome) have * memory leaks.  But we need more info here - what Window
>Manager are you running?  Can you quit back to the command line with
>Alt-Ctrl-Backspace or is the computer frozen?

Well, my problem is that I use old linux, not new :) It was Red Hat Linux
2.0 and window manager was fvwm. I also tried twm: the problem was still
here. (dont shout i need new linux: i'm expecting RH 6.0 CD ROM by post, but
i just wanted to see what is Linux, before i got the freshest one. You know,
Russian postservice is so slow!)
BTW i have installed this distribution before on two i486 PCs and X ran
normally.

Alt-Ctrl-BS doesn't help

And i'm not sure the matter is in Window Manager, because it aften hangs
when I move window from place to place and part of window is drawn at new
location, while the rest is still at old one (excellent possibility to get
known how does Window Manager works :)

1. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

I recently got a linux distrubtion off the internet.  It is Redhat
Linux Professional Version 8.  I think this is a new version, as im
only a newbie to the scene, but was wanting to give linux a shot.

I have a Dell Lattitude XPi P150ST with 48mb.  I run the installation
program off a boot floppy and then off the cdroms, since my laptop
never supported booting straight from CD, I used the rawrite app.

The installation program worked, I choose all the preferences and
options, but then when the installation program was about to install
programs, etc, it come up with an error message, it told me to post it
on the redhat website.  I scrolled down and the message said something
about not having enough memory to perform a certain task, as far as I
could make out.  It was a erron error or something?.

Im going to try to install it again, with the installation program
that you can do through the text interface, instead of the graphical
one.  First impressions, I did like the setup program, but not quite
when it said there was an error. - If i didnt have enough memory to
continue with installation would it not tell me straight out that I
didnt have the memory, instead of an error message.  The message had a
good few lines of programing lines or something - leave that to the
programmers!

A wannabe Linux user. Maybe.

2. Wacky little Linux annimations

3. SCSI Bus Hangs (was OSR5.0.2 Install Hangs)

4. S: Handbuch zu Multiportkarte

5. 4.7 install hangs (CD boot hangs when probing devices)

6. FTAM

7. SS-1000 hangs / df hangs

8. BUG? race between kswapd and ptrace (access_process_vm )

9. X Server hangs because Workman grabs input and hangs

10. Samba server hang makes client hang too

11. Netscape Communicator just hangs...and hangs...please help.

12. OS Hanged/X Window Hanged when su'd to rmuser/Softboot

13. System hangs with unrecoverable SCSI bus or device hang.