Linux in a window

Post by Jim Tenc » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi
    I have a couple of machines, Linux and NT.  I would like to have "Linux
in a window" on my NT box.  I have exceed and currently launch apps one at a
time.  I would like to have either Gnome (preferable) or KDE menus as I
can't remember the program names of all the apps.

Ta

Jim

Linux in a window

Post by Roland Nagtegaa » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi
>     I have a couple of machines, Linux and NT.  I would like to have "Linux
> in a window" on my NT box.  I have exceed and currently launch apps one at a
> time.  I would like to have either Gnome (preferable) or KDE menus as I
> can't remember the program names of all the apps.

> Ta

> Jim

You are being very vague.
I think what you want is use a windowmanager or an xterm as your first app,
then
you can startup as many apps as you like, with exceed.

Linux in a window

Post by Darre » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Get VMware.  You can run the entire Linux OS inside of Windows NT.

-Darren

> Hi
>     I have a couple of machines, Linux and NT.  I would like to have "Linux
> in a window" on my NT box.  I have exceed and currently launch apps one at a
> time.  I would like to have either Gnome (preferable) or KDE menus as I
> can't remember the program names of all the apps.

> Ta

> Jim

Linux in a window

Post by Dave Pelletie » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Exceed is actually an Xserver not a window manager. Make sure the xdm or kdm
daemon is running on the linux box. There was a bug is some versions of gdm that
wouldn't allow remote logins.

Using the same configuration you use to get the cde from the solaris box,
connect to the linux box. i.e. exceed should be set for xdmcp mode

> OK, I know answering my own post is bad form, but the couple of answers I've
> got force me into it...

> I have exceed running on my NT box and set my DISPLAY in my profile on the
> linux box.  This works fine as far as it goes.  What I want to do is the
> same as I do at work with the Solaris machines.  I run CDE via exceed, which
> gives my the solaris desktop in a window on my NT work-station, I want my
> "Linux" desktop in a similar window.  A window manager is, what exceed is
> (one suggestion) and will allow my linux application using xlib to interact
> with my desktop (sorry, just wanted to demonstrate I was mostly a moron, not
> completely ;-) ).  Any suggestions.

> Jim

> > Hi
> >     I have a couple of machines, Linux and NT.  I would like to have
> "Linux
> > in a window" on my NT box.  I have exceed and currently launch apps one at
> > time.  I would like to have either Gnome (preferable) or KDE menus as I
> > can't remember the program names of all the apps.

> > Ta

> > Jim

Linux in a window

Post by Jim Tenc » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

OK, I know answering my own post is bad form, but the couple of answers I've
got force me into it...

I have exceed running on my NT box and set my DISPLAY in my profile on the
linux box.  This works fine as far as it goes.  What I want to do is the
same as I do at work with the Solaris machines.  I run CDE via exceed, which
gives my the solaris desktop in a window on my NT work-station, I want my
"Linux" desktop in a similar window.  A window manager is, what exceed is
(one suggestion) and will allow my linux application using xlib to interact
with my desktop (sorry, just wanted to demonstrate I was mostly a moron, not
completely ;-) ).  Any suggestions.

Jim

Quote:> Hi
>     I have a couple of machines, Linux and NT.  I would like to have
"Linux
> in a window" on my NT box.  I have exceed and currently launch apps one at
> time.  I would like to have either Gnome (preferable) or KDE menus as I
> can't remember the program names of all the apps.

> Ta

> Jim

1. Windows media Player plug-ins

Is there a Windows media player plug-in for Konquerer, or for Mozilla 0.94
for that matter.
My favourite news site, msnbc.com,  is denied to me if I wish to view
videos, and in these harrowing times it would be nice to see ALL the news.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
Lew Targett

PS I use Mandrake 8

2. Available resolutions on an S3 card

3. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

4. HELP IN SCO ver 3.0 system printer problem!!!

5. List of plug-ins for linux/netscape please!

6. announce: library for event ques

7. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

8. Installing Soundcard

9. Linux and Dial-ins (?)

10. netscape-i686-pc-linux-gnu-installer.tar.gz for Netscape 6.1 ppc?

11. Netscape plug-ins under Linux

12. how to use plug-ins in navigator-linux?

13. Ich m?chte eine Verbindung ins Internet Linux und einer TelesS0 16.3