weird ant things

Post by Voytek LAPINS » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Ive recently set up a linux system and had a bit of trouble getting XFree86
working bla bla bla...but thats not what this post is about.

I FINALLY got everything working like I expected and was really happy, so
I logged on to my university account and to do some stuff..you know, actually
use my computer instead of playing around with it, for a change. Anyway, A few
hours later, Id finished replying to my mail and decided to move over to
a section of blank virtual desktop (that sounds a bit windozy doesnt it...I
wonder what the proper term is...oh well, doesnt matter) to start up something
new..I neearly jumped out of my seat when about amillion little bugs started
running around my screen. It only lasted a second or so. When I moved over to another blank segment, they started again. Now, every time I go over to a blank
bit of virtual screen space, those goddam little bugs are there. Im not sure
whether theyll be there when I reboot, probably not, Its probably a time
lapse thing.

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind it as such. I just want to know whats doing it.
At the moment, Im using XFree86/XF86_S3 server and fvwm as the window manager.
I never noticed it before when I was tweaking the system, even though Id be on
for hours at a time..the only thing thats changed is that I used xv with the
-quit option to put up a nice background so could that be it?

Heh...I love linux,...youd never find something like this in windows unless
you put it there yourself.

V.

EEEEK....it lasts for longer everytime..theyre taking over...SAVE ME
:)

weird ant things

Post by Laurent Mich » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Well, my opinion is that in some way, you managed to start the xroach
program.... (or someone else did on your machine) This is a little toy that
"simulates"*roaches.... of course as soon as you move something (a window
for instance), the simulation wakes up the roaches that starts looking for
another window to hide under....
Pretty funny.

To annihilate these pest, simply do a ps -aux|grep xroach
and kill the corresponding pid!

--

        - Laurent

weird ant things

Post by Charles C. Abne » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

> Ive recently set up a linux system and had a bit of trouble getting XFree86
> working bla bla bla...but thats not what this post is about.

> I FINALLY got everything working like I expected and was really happy, so
> I logged on to my university account and to do some stuff..you know, actually
> use my computer instead of playing around with it, for a change. Anyway, A few
> hours later, Id finished replying to my mail and decided to move over to
> a section of blank virtual desktop (that sounds a bit windozy doesnt it...I
> wonder what the proper term is...oh well, doesnt matter) to start up something
> V.
> EEEEK....it lasts for longer everytime..theyre taking over...SAVE ME

Ask your Sysop for a can of virtual RAID (not the disk stuff, CANS!)

heh

-chuck

<this is a ridiculous news configuration, that requires I type more than
I include>

1. java/44335: devel/jakarta-ant does not install man page for 'ant'

Synopsis: devel/jakarta-ant does not install man page for 'ant'

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: znerd
State-Changed-When: Tue Oct 22 01:02:08 PDT 2002
State-Changed-Why:
This is a valid PR.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-java->znerd
Responsible-Changed-By: znerd
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Oct 22 01:02:08 PDT 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Over to maintainer (me).

2. SCO to Netware Gateway p

3. What is the diff. between "sh foo" and "foo"?

4. (newbie) weird thing with linux applications

6. weird csh thing

7. Emacs 19.31linux

8. XV does -weird- things

9. Weird Thing: sb module hangs every 2nd boot?

10. weird qconfig thing

11. Weird things in csh (and kernel?)

12. Disklabel seeing weird things