Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Post by Tina Johnsso » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00



Hi,
I'm trying to change the default backgroundcolor of Netscape.
I've inserted this line in my ~/X.defaults-file:
netscape*background: SkyBlue3
After doing so I activate the changes by typing xrdb .Xdefaults.
However, the color is still the same plain ugly old grey when I
launch Netscape.
I've tried replacing the color with other once, for exapmle
yellow and white (just to test) and that works just fine.

The errormessage I get when trying to use the color of my pref.
(or practically every other color in rgb.txt is:
... color not defined

Any clues?

/diff

 
 
 

Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Post by R.K.A » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00



> Hi,
> I'm trying to change the default backgroundcolor of Netscape.
> I've inserted this line in my ~/X.defaults-file:
> netscape*background: SkyBlue3
> After doing so I activate the changes by typing xrdb .Xdefaults.
> However, the color is still the same plain ugly old grey when I
> launch Netscape.
> I've tried replacing the color with other once, for exapmle
> yellow and white (just to test) and that works just fine.

> The errormessage I get when trying to use the color of my pref.
> (or practically every other color in rgb.txt is:
> ... color not defined

The default backgroundcolor in Netscape isn't set in .Xdefaults but by
selecting Edit/preferences -> Appearance/Colors
The value is a user-preference in your preferences.js file (grey is
default)

K.

--
Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/linux.html#ttf

 
 
 

Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00


 >>
 >> I'm trying to change the default backgroundcolor of Netscape.
 >> I've inserted this line in my ~/X.defaults-file:
 >> netscape*background: SkyBlue3
 >
 >The default backgroundcolor in Netscape isn't set in .Xdefaults but by
 >selecting Edit/preferences -> Appearance/Colors
 >The value is a user-preference in your preferences.js file (grey is
 >default)
 >
To see what can be defined by X-resources, look for a file Netscape.ad.

Bob T.

 
 
 

Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Post by R.K.A » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00




>  >> I'm trying to change the default backgroundcolor of Netscape.
>  >> I've inserted this line in my ~/X.defaults-file:
>  >> netscape*background: SkyBlue3

>  >The default backgroundcolor in Netscape isn't set in .Xdefaults but by
>  >selecting Edit/preferences -> Appearance/Colors
>  >The value is a user-preference in your preferences.js file (grey is
>  >default)

> To see what can be defined by X-resources, look for a file Netscape.ad.

> Bob T.

Oops...where it states:

Netscape*defaultBackground:     WINDOW_BACKGROUND

But using preferences.js is easyer - done with 7 clicks (i counted!)

K

--
Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/linux.html#ttf

 
 
 

Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Post by Steve Weis » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Try:

Netscape*background: <somecolor>

(with a capital "R")

-Steve


> Hi,
> I'm trying to change the default backgroundcolor of Netscape.
> I've inserted this line in my ~/X.defaults-file:
> netscape*background: SkyBlue3
> After doing so I activate the changes by typing xrdb .Xdefaults.
> However, the color is still the same plain ugly old grey when I
> launch Netscape.
> I've tried replacing the color with other once, for exapmle
> yellow and white (just to test) and that works just fine.

> The errormessage I get when trying to use the color of my pref.
> (or practically every other color in rgb.txt is:
> ... color not defined

> Any clues?

> /diff

--
"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than if you just
drank
gin straight from the bottle."  - Garrison Keillor
 
 
 

Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Post by Steve Weis » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00


...

Quote:> The default backgroundcolor in Netscape isn't set in .Xdefaults but by
> selecting Edit/preferences -> Appearance/Colors
> The value is a user-preference in your preferences.js file (grey is
> default)

That's for the document background color. You can set the color of other
widgets, (menus, scrolled windows, etc) in .Xdefaults.

-Steve
--
"If you watch TV news, you know less about the world than if you just
drank
gin straight from the bottle."  - Garrison Keillor

 
 
 

Changing Netscape's appearance with ~/X.defaults

Post by R.K.A » Sat, 16 Oct 1999 04:00:00


Better yet...
Let the color you define be a colorname X knows about.
They are listed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

K.


> Try:

> Netscape*background: <somecolor>

> (with a capital "R")

> -Steve


> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to change the default backgroundcolor of Netscape.
> > I've inserted this line in my ~/X.defaults-file:
> > netscape*background: SkyBlue3
> > After doing so I activate the changes by typing xrdb .Xdefaults.
> > However, the color is still the same plain ugly old grey when I
> > launch Netscape.
> > I've tried replacing the color with other once, for exapmle
> > yellow and white (just to test) and that works just fine.

> > The errormessage I get when trying to use the color of my pref.
> > (or practically every other color in rgb.txt is:
> > ... color not defined

> > Any clues?

> > /diff

--
Step by step guide to TrueType fonts under RedHat6:
http://home.powertech.no/rkaa/linux.html#ttf
 
 
 

1. How to change Netscape's default background color?

I've tried to change Netscape (4.5b1)'s default background color to
white but without success.  I've looked at the Netscape.ad file and
found the following line:

*defaultBackground:     #C0C0C0

I've added the line to the ~/.Xdefault

*defaultBackground:    #FFFFFF

or rather

Netscape*defaultBackground:     #FFFFFF

but still...the background appears to be the ugly grey.  Can somebody
give me a clue on how to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Will

2. Afterstep

3. How can I return to default appearance/desktop settings?

4. ok, I admit it, I need help..OSWarp and Linux

5. Changing default 'blue' color in Workshop Visual

6. pty option for pppd

7. Change default window manager to 'olvm'

8. Math prog for Linux

9. Boot Manager diddler to change 'default' boot ?

10. how do I change the default 'X' mouse cursor?

11. how to change the default output of 'time' command

12. change default 'xhost' control

13. Screen appearance in 'C'