startx returns errors "Not a declared device" or "Chipset string expected"

startx returns errors "Not a declared device" or "Chipset string expected"

Post by Michael Eisenstad » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am tring to edit XF86Config to get the startx command
working.  I have installed the X server which comes with the
Slackware 3.5 CD.  My video card is an ATI Mach32
Graphics Ultra Pro ISA 2048K.

The error messages that the startx command returns provide
line references at the end of the XF86Config file.
startx seems to boggle at the entry for "Identifier" in the
"Graphics device section" and variously reports the error
messages referenced in the Subject line above.  I have tried
ATI-Mach32, ATI 68800-6 (which is reported by SuperProbe),
svga and Generic svga for the "Identifier" entry but to no
avail.

What is actually meant by a declared device?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Eisenstadt