Problems with XFree86 and Trident VGA card

Problems with XFree86 and Trident VGA card

Post by Wolfgang Mue » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

maybe somebody on the net can help me...

I use Linux 2.0.29 and XFree86 V3.2.

My VGA card is a Trident TGUI9420DGi VLB.

On starting the X server (XF86_SVGA), i get a non-synchronisized screen.
H-sync and V-synch are not OK, maybe due to a wrong pixel clock.

I've tried very much combinations of Modelines and clock lines.
I'm very shure that my problem is not related to Modelines and clock
lines.

A old SVGA X server (from 1995) works without problems, but very slow.

Any advice?

regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Muees

Problems with XFree86 and Trident VGA card

Post by Christopher Ort » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi Wolfgang

Quote:> I use Linux 2.0.29 and XFree86 V3.2.

> My VGA card is a Trident TGUI9420DGi VLB.

> On starting the X server (XF86_SVGA), i get a non-synchronisized screen.
> H-sync and V-synch are not OK, maybe due to a wrong pixel clock.

> I've tried very much combinations of Modelines and clock lines.
> I'm very shure that my problem is not related to Modelines and clock
> lines.

> A old SVGA X server (from 1995) works without problems, but very slow.

I am not sure what you mean -- what is the symptom of the sync'ing being
"not okay".

I am not sure if this helps, but my TVGA9400CXi exhibits a strange
wraparound problem which might be similar to what you are complaining
about.  At least for this model, the problem goes away if I set the
virtual screen size to be the same as the resolution for my modeline.

If I try to set the virtual screen size larger than the modeline
resolution, the "extra" vertical space is garbage, while the "extra"
horizontal space maps back to the left hand side of the display.

If this is nothing like your problem, disregard this advice...

-Chris