X doesn't save my video settings!

Post by Mart » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I just installed Linux (Slackware 96) on my PC.  I also
downloaded and installed the latest version of XFree86
(version 3.3.1) with no problems.  I then ran XF86Setup
and every went fine.  However, when I start X, it always
starts with a different resolution than I set and is outta
whack.  I have to re-adjust it with vidtune every time I
start it.  Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Martyr

Post by Manfred Bart » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I just installed Linux (Slackware 96) on my PC.  I also
> downloaded and installed the latest version of XFree86
> (version 3.3.1) with no problems.  I then ran XF86Setup
> and every went fine.  However, when I start X, it always
> starts with a different resolution than I set and is outta
> whack.  I have to re-adjust it with vidtune every time I
> start it.  Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Martyr

  ^^^^^^--- is that really your name or is it how you feel??  ;-)

Write down the values from your vidtune program.

cp /etc/XF86Config /etc/XF86Config.bak

then edit your /etc/XF86Config:

find ``Section "Monitor"''
edit the appropriate mode line(s) with the values you wrote down.
The values should not have to be changed by much, if there is a
difference of more than a few percent, you probably are editing the
wrong mode line.  ;-)

find ``Section "Screen"'', ``Subsection "Display"''
the modes are listed in the order in which the CTL-ALT+ steps thru,
the first one is the default one. You can re-arrange them in any
order, add or remove modes. Just make shure you have at least one
valid mode, invalid modes are deleted when the X-server starts.

You need to do that for each color depth you want to use.  Better
color resolution requires more video memory or lower resolution.
1M VideoRAM limits you to 640x480 at 24bpp or 1152x864 at 8bpp.

You need the detailed technical specs for the monitor and your video
card if you really want to squeeze the last out of your setup.

To start with a different color resolution (Bits Per Pixel), use
``startx -- -bpp 16'' or 24 etc...

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
                                     -- The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

1. X doesn't save my video settings!

I just installed Linux (Slackware 96) on my PC.  I also
downloaded and installed the latest version of XFree86
(version 3.3.1) with no problems.  I then ran XF86Setup
and every went fine.  However, when I start X, it always
starts with a different resolution than I set and is outta
whack.  I have to re-adjust it with vidtune every time I
start it.  Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Martyr

2. PPP for a Solaris/UNIX Newbie

3. KDE 2.1-beta1 doesn't save desktop settings

4. LAN to Internet

5. xvidtune doesn't save settings

6. Routing

7. The Save To Disk (S2D) doesn't work on my Dell Latitude CPx

8. Help needed with Modems/DHU driver

9. KDE 2.01 doesn't save same changes

10. gimp doesn't save right

11. Solstice Backup 5.5.1 doesn't save index to tape

12. rpm: Why doesn't it save ftp downloads on failure?

13. Plextor cdrom px40tsi doesn't read Video-CD's under linux-2.3+