ATI Rage Mobility-P on Dell Inspiron 7500 Problems

ATI Rage Mobility-P on Dell Inspiron 7500 Problems

Post by Bob Hartun » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
  I cannot manage to get X running on a new Dell Inspiron
7500 with the Rage Mobility P chipset.  The ATI has 8 mb
video ram and the screen is supposed to be able to go to
1280 x 1024 [can do this in win98].

  Does anyone have any specific information on this
problem?  Is there a solution short of just waiting for the
support to come out?  I think I have the latest Mach64 x
server.

TIA,

Bob Hartung

ATI Rage Mobility-P on Dell Inspiron 7500 Problems

Post by Martijn Coene » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
>   I cannot manage to get X running on a new Dell Inspiron
> 7500 with the Rage Mobility P chipset.  The ATI has 8 mb
> video ram and the screen is supposed to be able to go to
> 1280 x 1024 [can do this in win98].

>   Does anyone have any specific information on this
> problem?  Is there a solution short of just waiting for the
> support to come out?  I think I have the latest Mach64 x
> server.

Try the new 3.3.6 version of Xfree86 - seems to support your Mobility-P

Quote:> TIA,

> Bob Hartung

Good luck with it,

Martijn Coenen

ATI Rage Mobility-P on Dell Inspiron 7500 Problems

Post by Bob Hartun » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Martijn,
  Thank you for your quick reply.  My problem is that I can
only find source files for XFree86-3.3.6 on the XFree.org
ftp site.  As an utter newbie who seems to be up to his
proverbial neck in 'it', I would like to take the easy road
and use RPMs.  Do you know of a source.  There are none on
the RH site, and they haven't yet responded to my email
asking when they will be posted.

  Thanks again,

Bob Hartung

<snip>

ATI Rage Mobility-P on Dell Inspiron 7500 Problems

Post by Martijn Coene » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Bob,

I also looked for the RPMS at first today - couldn't find them either. So I
just downloaded the XF86_Mach64.tgz (That's the only thing you need really),
unzipped it in /usr/X11R6/bin (Where the other servers reside), configured
it with Xconfigurator (Just use the Mach64 server and I tried lots of
monitors and custom setups)...and said...DAMN...the Mobility-P still don't
work (I have one too in my laptop, for if you hadn't noticed yet :-) ) You
may try for yourself, please let me hear if you have more success. As far as
the RPMS are concerned, that might take some more time...

Martijn

BTW There is an excellent page for the how to get the Dell to work, if 3.3.6
don't work take a look here:

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/

It never worked for me, though:-(

Quote:> Martijn,

Post by Ment » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Martijn,
>  Thank you for your quick reply.  My problem is that I can
>only find source files for XFree86-3.3.6 on the XFree.org
>ftp site.  As an utter newbie who seems to be up to his
>proverbial neck in 'it', I would like to take the easy road
>and use RPMs.  Do you know of a source.  There are none on
>the RH site, and they haven't yet responded to my email
>asking when they will be posted.

Bob, go here:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/

It should have more than enough to get you started. I think the maestro
sound card drivers can be gotten from RedHat's ftp site. They're not too
difficult to build and install. Good luck.

--

Mental
--

"you make insanity respectable."
--Helcat on the subject of Mental.

pgp public key: http://warhammer.neverlight.com/Mental-pub.pgp

Post by Michael Per » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>  I cannot manage to get X running on a new Dell Inspiron
>7500 with the Rage Mobility P chipset.  The ATI has 8 mb
>video ram and the screen is supposed to be able to go to
>1280 x 1024 [can do this in win98].

>  Does anyone have any specific information on this
>problem?  Is there a solution short of just waiting for the
>support to come out?  I think I have the latest Mach64 x
>server.

>TIA,

>Bob Hartung

Try using vesa framebuffer support for it.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...

I'm new to Linux and would appreciate some help.

I have a Dell 7500 and have just loaded Redhat v7.0 from the boxed-set.
Can someone give me specific instructions as to how I can get the
onboard ATI Rage Mobility AGP-2X card to work at the default resolution
of 1400x1050 (16-bit or 24-bit color would be desirable?).  I'm able to
drive it to 1152x and 1280x with 16-bit color, however, I cannot get
options to appear in Xconfigurator for the 1400x1050 modes...

Thanks,

MarkW
-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-

2. 2.4.9-pre3 s390 patch for partition code

3. XFree86 on ATI Rage Mobility-P on Inspiron 7500 SXGA (1280x1024)?

4. Suggestions for advocacy

5. newbie with dell Inspiron 700 and ATI Rage Mobility

6. Gimp

7. ATI mobility radeon 7500 problems

8. ioctl question

9. Dell Inspiron 7500 N/book problems

10. DELL Inspiron 7500 / RH6.1 / 3COM 3C589 Problems

11. Inspiron 8000 with ATI Rage 128 Mobility -- external monitor refresh rates

12. ATI Radeon Mobility M6 on Dell Inspiron 4100

13. ATI Mobility Radeon 7500