X on a Thinkpad A22p thru a Belkin KVM

Post by Donkey Agon » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:05:02

Trying to getting X working in Mandrake 9 through a KVM
from my Thinkpad.  Oddly enough, it IS working on another
machine (different video card) through the *same* KVM and
monitor in Mandrake 8.

When I click the "Test", I can never see anything.  It
found the Plug 'n Play Monitor fine (Sony E400), the
video card fine (ATI Rage Mobility 128), and I've tried
XFree86 4.2.1 (I think that's it, not in front of it at
the moment) with and without 3d.  I tried it in a bunch
of different resolutions.  Tried it with different refresh
rates (60htz, 70htz, 74htz, 76htz -- in Windows it works
fine at 85htz, but I didn't see that as an option).

I'm a newbie to X windows.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

/da

X on a Thinkpad A22p thru a Belkin KVM

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:17:47

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 16:05:02 -0500, Donkey Agony staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> Trying to getting X working in Mandrake 9 through a KVM from my
> Thinkpad.  Oddly enough, it IS working on another machine (different
> video card) through the *same* KVM and monitor in Mandrake 8.

> When I click the "Test", I can never see anything.  It found the Plug
> 'n Play Monitor fine (Sony E400), the video card fine (ATI Rage
> Mobility 128), and I've tried XFree86 4.2.1 (I think that's it, not in
> front of it at the moment) with and without 3d.  I tried it in a bunch

This seems like a silly thing to do, since KVMs are pretty stationary
while laptops like the A22p are not.  Also, laptops typically don't have
provisions for using an external keyboard--the A22p *might* be able to,
through its PS/2 port, but the manuals said something about an adapter
from IBM (sold separately) being required if you wanted to use anything
other than IBM-branded peripherals.

Anyway, the Rage128 in this machine can output video in at least 3 different
ways:  through the LCD, through the VGA-out, and through both.  It
defaults to outputting video only to the LCD.  There's an option you can
add to the /etc/X11/XF86Config file like so:

Section "Device"
   Identifier "ATi Rage 128"
   Driver "ati"
   Option "Display" "BIOS"
   # ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the line you need, in context
EndSection

The "Display" option defaults to "LCD", while "BIOS" will make the
display be whatever the BIOS thinks the display should be.  You change
this by pressing the Fn-F7 key combo.

One more thing that may be causing a problem is the extremely high
resolution of the A22p's display.  With X 4.2.0 and 4.2.1, I have *not*
been able to get it to run at anything other than 1600x1200.  If the KVM
can't handle this resolution (check the KVM's manual), you may be out of
luck.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Donkey Agon » Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:13:19

> > Trying to getting X working in Mandrake 9 through a KVM from my
> > Thinkpad.  Oddly enough, it IS working on another machine (different
> > video card) through the *same* KVM and monitor in Mandrake 8.

> > When I click the "Test", I can never see anything.  It found the Plug
> > 'n Play Monitor fine (Sony E400), the video card fine (ATI Rage
> > Mobility 128), and I've tried XFree86 4.2.1 (I think that's it, not in
> > front of it at the moment) with and without 3d.  I tried it in a bunch

> This seems like a silly thing to do, since KVMs are pretty stationary
> while laptops like the A22p are not.  Also, laptops typically don't have
> provisions for using an external keyboard--the A22p *might* be able to,
> through its PS/2 port, but the manuals said something about an adapter
> from IBM (sold separately) being required if you wanted to use anything
> other than IBM-branded peripherals.

I use the A22p *mainly* in a docking station, which is quite easily
connected to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  I switch in
Windows between it and another machine.  Even had a third box at one
point, until it got too old & flakey.  Very nice to be able to switch
between two or three different machines.

Quote:> Anyway, the Rage128 in this machine can output video in at least 3 different
> ways:  through the LCD, through the VGA-out, and through both.  It
> defaults to outputting video only to the LCD.  There's an option you can
> add to the /etc/X11/XF86Config file like so:

> Section "Device"
>    Identifier "ATi Rage 128"
>    Driver "ati"
>    Option "Display" "BIOS"
>    # ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the line you need, in context
> EndSection

> The "Display" option defaults to "LCD", while "BIOS" will make the
> display be whatever the BIOS thinks the display should be.  You change
> this by pressing the Fn-F7 key combo.

Excellent!  Thanks for the advice -- this sounds right on the money.
I'm going to try it as soon as I finish writing this.

Quote:> One more thing that may be causing a problem is the extremely high
> resolution of the A22p's display.  With X 4.2.0 and 4.2.1, I have *not*
> been able to get it to run at anything other than 1600x1200.  If the KVM
> can't handle this resolution (check the KVM's manual), you may be out of
> luck.

The ATI Windows driver on the A22p is pretty neat.  It remembers it's
resolution depending on whether you're using you are using the LCD or
an external monitor.  LCDs pretty much want to run at their native
resolution, so in Windows in keep the 1600x1200 for the LCD, but it
recognizes that I like me external 19" Sony to be at 1280x1024.  Is
there a way to configure X to behave like this?

Many thanks!

/da

1. Thinkpad A22p, 800x600 possible?

Recently bought a Thinkpad A22p, and everything works quite well.  I'd
like to use 800x600 resolution (exact hardware scaling, should work just
fine) for playing Armegatron and other games.

The video chipset is a Rage 128 Mobility, 16M VRAM, using X 4.2.0, DRI
works (no problems with APM suspend/resume either, yay!) probed HSync is
reported as 30-95 KHz, probed VSync is reported as 58-75 Hz, and the
modelines that X is using (or trying to use) are as follows:

  "800x600"    43.68  800  816  928 1072  600  600  606  626
  "1600x1200" 162.24 1600 1616 1968 2080 1200 1200 1212 1253
  "1600x1200" 194.69 1600 1616 1968 2080 1200 1200 1212 1253

X reports "vrefresh out of range" for the 800x600 mode.  The 800x600
framebuffer console running on tty1 works, oddly enough.

I've tried using xf86config instead of distro-supplied SaX2 or X
--configure to generate a configuration file--no luck there, though it's
worked with other recalcitrant monitors and cards in the past.  I've
searched linux-laptop.net and groups.google.com for advice on this
problem and come up empty.  I will try the XFree86 Video-Timing-Howto,
as well.

All help appreciated, please post replies to Usenet, replies sent via
mail will be summarized and posted to the newsgroup.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

2. Access NTFS from

3. Belkin 2-Port KVM Switch Kills Mouse in X

4. How to implement concurrent parallel threads in UNIX?

5. HELP: Problems with Mouse using Belkin KVM Switch Under Windows XP

6. Very small fix for 2.4.3-pre8 unresolved symbols

7. Belkin KVM switches-any problem?

8. Freeware UNIX databases and security

9. Belkin 2-Port KVM Switch Kills PS/2 Mouse in X

10. Belkin KVM flash cable

11. Belkin OmniView SOHO series KVM

12. Belkin 2-Port KVM Switch Kills Mouse in X

13. Belkin KVM and wheel mouse