startx error message '/dev/console not found' in slackware 3.1

startx error message '/dev/console not found' in slackware 3.1

Post by Leon Che » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I installed slackware 3.1, Infomagic. When I run startx and get
'/dev/console not found error message. I could not found 'console' device
file in '/dev' directory.

Thank for anybody's advices.

Leon Chen

Post by David N. Berto » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I installed slackware 3.1, Infomagic. When I run startx and get
>'/dev/console not found error message. I could not found 'console' device
>file in '/dev' directory.
>Thank for anybody's advices.
>Leon Chen

Change to the /dev directory and run the following command:

MAKEDEV console

Case is significant.  Good luck!

Dave

1. library not found -- Slackware (Xwindows 'startx')

Hi folks,

        Whenever I attempt to run startx, I am told that there is a library
missing.  I re-loaded all of the X oriented files and re-installed
them (setup, pkgtool).  xfconfig is still in default form.  Everything
goes well until xinit kicks in and then I get the following message:

        Can't load library 'libXmu.so.6'

        Apparently, this is because this library was not included with the
downloadable files.  After checking both the lib directories for i486
('aout' and I believe 'linuxaout') under XF11R6, I discovered that it
was never there to begin with in either directory even though there
are Xmu type libs in both directories.

        I am using a 486SX/33 processor w/8Meg ram.  umsdos is the root file
system.

Question 1:

        Is this an unusual occurence?

Question 2:

        Is it wise to rename one of the existing Xmu type libs to match the
name that xinit is looking for?

Question 3:

        Do I need to reconfigure xinit(?) to *not* search for the Xmu library
and then, recompile xinit?

Question 4:

        Do I need to download a different set of Xwindows oriented data?

                Thanks for any assistance you may offer.

                                Paul G.

Nothing real can be threatened.
   Nothing unreal exists.

2. websphere and IBM HTTP server on Suse 6.3

3. ISA NIC Redhat 7

4. System won't boot: Error message can't get /dev/console for controlling terminal

5. UCT time in seconds only?

6. Slackware 3.1 'ld' cannot find libX11

7. SCSI: NCR 53c825 already supported?

8. Problem with Slackware 3.1: "/dev/console; no such file or directory" error

9. 'man' does not work in slackware 3.1?

10. Why don't console message appear in my ``console'' window?

11. Slackware 3.1 - can't find printer support

12. Help: XFree86 startx error "could not open default font 'fixed'"