XFree86 4.x locks up w/ Dual Head

Post by Mark Richard » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:54:17

I have a Voodoo3 2000 PCI and a Rage II+ (Mach 64) PCI.  The Voodoo is the
primary video card.  I had dual-head working once, I think with X 4.0.1 with
these two cards.  I upgraded to Redhat 7.1 and the dual-head setup locks up.
The 3dfx card initializes, then the ATI card (I can see the spinning ATI bios
LOGO) and then the whole computer locks solid - only the reset button works.

I tried using XFree86 -configure; it sets up a dual head config in 1(yes one)
bpp, 640x480 (The second monitor is really old, so no pnp).  However, not even
this configuration works.

Strange thing is that if I try it enough times, it sometimes works.  It makes me
think that there is a race condition in the code that I keep losing.

Anyway, I tried upgrading the kernel drm drivers, but that didn't help.  I tried
upgrading XFree86 to 4.1.0, but that didn't help either.  I tried disabling DRI
but that didn't work either.  I tried different video modes, no joy.  I tried
relative and absolute positioning of the two screens, no success there either.

However, if I use just ONE head, regardless of which it is, it works fine.  Same
XF86Config file, except I change the screen id in the server layout section.  So
it's only when the two cards are used together that it locks up (right after I
see the ugly default X background and the X cursor on the primary (3dfx)
screen).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

PS if possible, please CC my email..

Post by ad.. » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 11:50:56

> I have a Voodoo3 2000 PCI and a Rage II+ (Mach 64) PCI.  The Voodoo is the
> primary video card.  I had dual-head working once, I think with X 4.0.1 with
> these two cards.  I upgraded to Redhat 7.1 and the dual-head setup locks up.
> The 3dfx card initializes, then the ATI card (I can see the spinning ATI bios
> LOGO) and then the whole computer locks solid - only the reset button works.
> I tried using XFree86 -configure; it sets up a dual head config in 1(yes one)
> bpp, 640x480 (The second monitor is really old, so no pnp).  However, not even
> this configuration works.
> Strange thing is that if I try it enough times, it sometimes works.  It makes me
> think that there is a race condition in the code that I keep losing.
> Anyway, I tried upgrading the kernel drm drivers, but that didn't help.  I tried
> upgrading XFree86 to 4.1.0, but that didn't help either.  I tried disabling DRI
> but that didn't work either.  I tried different video modes, no joy.  I tried
> relative and absolute positioning of the two screens, no success there either.
> However, if I use just ONE head, regardless of which it is, it works fine.  Same
> XF86Config file, except I change the screen id in the server layout section.  So
> it's only when the two cards are used together that it locks up (right after I
> see the ugly default X background and the X cursor on the primary (3dfx)
> screen).
> Anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Mark

Well, it sounds like you've pretty much covered all the bases.  Most
likely it's a new bug that's popped up in one of the drivers...  First,
I'd drop an e-mail to the developers for both drivers reporting the
problem to see if either of them have experienced it before.  Then, you
might want to try compiling support for the SysRq key into the kernel.
Even when your computer locks hard, you *might* be able to sync the
drive, remount it as read-only, and reboot.  At least this way your
/var/log/XFree86.0.log file should be valid for your last attempt at
running the X server.  It might contain some info about where your
server is locking up.

Adam

1. Dual headed support for xfree86??

At the subject line says, is there any dual headed support in xfree86
yet? If so, what hardware config do I need? Two video cards? and which
ones? A new server? or does the current ones directly support dual heads?

All help is appreciated.
--

======================
Bill Volz

2. Basic install question - boot slice beyond 1024 from floppy or boot manager

3. Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

4. pppd problems

5. dual-head xfree86 4.0 crashes: softbooting non-matrox cards

6. Change Identity

7. Problems with Dual Headed config and Xfree86 4.0

8. SSHD Port modification -- RedHat 7.2

9. XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

10. Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

11. Xfree86 4.0 and Matrox G400 Dual head

12. Almost have XFree86-4.0 working dual head and in xinerama, but need some help

13. Does XSun+XFree86 porting kit allow dual headed operation?