Virtual Screen Settings on a VGA and Mouse troubles

Virtual Screen Settings on a VGA and Mouse troubles

Post by Daniel Cormie » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Okay, first things first:
Use xf86config at the command line to fix your mouse problem. I had a few problems with Xconfigurator and it wouldn't configurate my mouse right so I would have the same problem you're having with it. That should handle the mouse problem.

Now, this is the trickey part:
Edit the XF86Config file. Near the bottom you'll find an entry that says "Screen". Below there (and this is close to the end of the file) you'll see your screen settings. You'll be looking for this, "Virtual    800 600". Just put a number sign (#) in front of every entry of "Virtual    XXX XXX" so it looks like this, "#Virtual    XXX XXX". That will cause the program to skip over the Virtual desktop settings and, thusly, not creatting a virtual desktop! Taa Daa!

    I am running Redhat, and X, on a VGA monitor (640x480 only) but X insists on making an 800x600 virtual X. How do I make it run it 640x480 alone? Also, I have a microsoft-compataible 2 button mouse, no matter what I do, I cant use the mouse in Xwindows, it is like it is not plugged in. Please help!

Post by Sasch » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>  I am running Redhat, and X, on a VGA monitor (640x480 only) but X
> insists on making an 800x600 virtual X. How do I make it run it
> 640x480 alone? Also, I have a microsoft-compataible 2 button mouse, no
> matter what I do, I cant use the mouse in Xwindows, it is like it is
> not plugged in. Please help!

  Hi Patrik,

have a look in your /etc/X11/XF86Config. In the screen-section behind
the Virtual is the size of the virtual dektop defined. To fix the
mouse,  have a look in the pointer section. There is a protocol defined,
maybe you need a different one, like microsoft or mouse-systems. For
available protocols, type man XF86Config and look for protocol-type.

Good luck

Sascha

1. setting vga mode virtual consoles

Hi all

I'm running slackware 1.2 on a Toshiba T2200 notebook.  It has a
monochrome LCD vga screen.

At boot time, it sets consoles to EGA+ 80*25.

Can anybody tell me how I can change this to VGA?

Thanks in Advance.
Darren.

--
* NOTE
signature presently being upgraded.  New .sig should be bigger, better,

2. Message name

3. VGA-setting (vga=770) after booting Linux

4. Kicker in Afterstep on Kde

5. Mouse problems with Generic VGA Video Card setting

6. upgrade Solaris 7 to 9

7. Trouble getting rid of virtual screen

8. Remotely manage Window 2000 , NT with Linux

9. HELP! with virtual screen settings....

10. setting up mwmrc iwth virtual screens

11. Cannot use mouse to copy-and-paste between X11R6 virtual screen

12. Mouse trouble & X jumping virtual console

13. Having trouble setting up virtual includes in Apache