White screen of death on Presario 1700T/ATI Rage Pro Mobility

White screen of death on Presario 1700T/ATI Rage Pro Mobility

Post by Eric » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:39:17

Occasionally, the LCD display on my Presario notebook "dissolves" to a white
screen while running X.  The only recovery is to shut it if off for a while.
It seems this happens when the computer gets very hot as if the video card
is overheating (?).  But it has never happened under Windo$e.  Any ideas how
to prevent this?  Maybe sync rates that are too high or otherwise set
poorly?

I am running xfree 4.02 (although the same happened under 3.x).  I have an
ATI Rage Pro Mobility with Mach64 chipset, and I selected the default Mach64
driver and settings when I (auto) configured X.

Thanks for any ideas,
Eric

1. flashing white screen with ATI RAGE PRO LT

Hi,

Has anybody had a problem with ATI 3D RAGE PRO LT video card with
occassional flashing white screen brought on when changing virtual
console
i.e CTRL-ALT-F1. My screen PRINCETON DPP560.

Also since this flashing screen (BTW, I have to re-boot the PC to cure
the flashing)
I get sometimes no kernal messages when linux boots i.e a blank screen
and then
I get the (Suse 7.0 professional) KDM manager. Sometimes even this
sometimes appears but the picture is dim.

Another thing even when I boot into Windows 95 I get a similar problem
now
with sometimes the screen being blank during startup.

So, any ideas on
1) the flashing screen?
2) if the video card or the monitor (screen) is at fault?

Thnaks,

Jaspal

2. Two networks / one workstation

3. Compaq presario and the white screen of death

4. WANTED: group scheduler/calendar/notifier program

5. Does XFree86 3.3.6 Support ATI Rage-Mobility Pro ?

6. Booting 1.0.9 using Buslogic 445C

7. XFree86 4.1 + FreeBSD 4.4 + ATI Rage Pro Mobility = Slow Graphics

8. NFS - takes 2 attempts to write file!

9. ATI Mobility Rage LT AGP Pro

10. configuring ATI Rage 3D Pro on Compaq Presario PC

11. ATI Rage 3D Pro problem on Compaq Presario PC

12. Not work X-Window on ATI Fury Pro (chipset ATI Rage 128 Pro)